Fishless Cycling time frame???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Guy

AC Members
Aug 30, 2002
VA
I am on day 14 of the fishless cycling process. Around day 7 I got the nitrite spike I was inspecting.How much longer should I have to wait for the nitrites to drop to zero?Another concern I have is about continuing to add pure amonia to the tank. One article I read said to cutback on the amonia, another said to stop adding amonia once the nitrites spike.Which one is right?

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Usually the nitrite will take about 1.5x-2x longer than it took for the ammonia to drop to 0. Once ammonia has dropped to zero, you should add 1/2 of your original dosage (to dosage you added to achieve 5ppm) of ammonia every day. If you want to be able to add your full stock upon completion you need to more regimented about adding ammonia so your bio-filter doesn't die off at all.

quick061

AC Members
Nov 19, 2002
CA
Visit site
i don't see why an article would say to stop adding ammonia all together once the nitrites have gone to zero because then there would be nothing to feed the bacteria and they would die. i would say that cutting down is best and stop soon before you add the fish. that way there is enough to keep the bacteria alive but it wouldn't overload them when the fish are added.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
imho, keep the ammonia levels at 5ppm. It'll increase the bacterial colonies in your tank, and is a good failsafe against any chance of a minicycle when you begin to add fish.

HTH
-Richer

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Just to add to what quick said, you should be able to process the amount of ammonia you're adding in 24 hours...that is when you know your cycle is done. So if you add ammonia and in 24 hours you're reading 0 and 0, you're done. I usually make sure it's good for 2-3 days and then discontinue adding ammonia, wait 24 hours and do a 90% water change and add fish.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Ammonia dose

Hey Cichlid Guy - we're in exactly the same boat… I started my fishless cycle 14 days ago and have had nitrItes for about a week. Hoping I can stock this weekend coming (fingers crossed, optimism wavering)…

Richer- about keeping the ammonia so high… Isn't the point of cutting the dose in half to create a friendlier enviroment for the second colony (the -trite to -trate crew)? I thought the very high ammonia levels were bad for them, even temporarily…

-carpguy

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I don't believe its harmful until you go a bit higher than that... I've fishless cycled with 5 ppm of ammonia all the time and it worked out just fine.

-Richer

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I agree -- I cycle with about 4-5 ppm ammonia from start to finish and haven't noticed any inhibitory effect from that level of ammonia.

Jim

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
The only problem I can see with adding 5ppm ammo till finish is that when you do change the water and add the fish, your fish probly won't give that much ammo in one day. Therefore, your biological colonies that have been building till the end will start to die off a bit. This usually shouldn't be a problem, and I'm sure there would be no ammonia or nitrite spike due to this. The thing I believe could happen is just a higher concentration of nitrates before your first couple of water changes, as the colonies adjust. No biggie, I'm sure, though! Just for the record, I'm doing my first fishless cycle, and I'm starting week 4, I add ammonia, and the next day at same time, there is still nitrite, and alot of nitrate. I just dose half original amount of ammonia again, which is at 0 again, daily. I hyppthesize this will keep the current colonies fed, but not over-do it. I'm only gonna have one 2" fish in a this ten gallon, anyway.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I don't think you should add ammonia at all, I let my tanks cycle all on it's own, it takes 4 weeks, but I think the water is better from the start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store