Fishless Cycling time frame???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Originally posted by Sumpin'fishy
The only problem I can see with adding 5ppm ammo till finish is that when you do change the water and add the fish, your fish probly won't give that much ammo in one day. Therefore, your biological colonies that have been building till the end will start to die off a bit. This usually shouldn't be a problem, and I'm sure there would be no ammonia or nitrite spike due to this. The thing I believe could happen is just a higher concentration of nitrates before your first couple of water changes, as the colonies adjust. No biggie, I'm sure, though! Just for the record, I'm doing my first fishless cycle, and I'm starting week 4, I add ammonia, and the next day at same time, there is still nitrite, and alot of nitrate. I just dose half original amount of ammonia again, which is at 0 again, daily. I hyppthesize this will keep the current colonies fed, but not over-do it. I'm only gonna have one 2" fish in a this ten gallon, anyway.
In my tanks that I've fishless cycled, I do a 95% water change before adding fish. I've never noticed unusually high nitrates after adding fish.

I agree that 5 ppm is probably more than is needed, but I don't think it has any untoward effects. I'd rather err on the side of too large a bacterial colony than too small.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store