Flashing ?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dblock

AC Members
Jan 20, 2020
I just started this hobby. I’ve got a red tail shark , Green tiger barbs and tiger barbs. I’ve noticed that they were rubbing on plants and rocks. When I look close I dnt see and parasites and they’re scales look fine. Is this something that they just do ?
I also have gourmies and and red eye tetras in the tank and they dnt this flashing or rubbing on decor.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Flashing can be like scratching an itch. Some causes can be ich (white spot) or just from different water than their used to that's irritating them. So, lots of questions:

What are your tap water & tank water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH etc)? Tank size? How often do you do water changes & how much each time? Water dechlorinator do you use? How long has your tank been set up? Did you cycle it before adding fish (look it up if you don't know what that means)? How recently did you add new fish?

Dblock

AC Members
Jan 20, 2020
You might laugh but I’m just using test strips right now. I’ll be getting a kit soon. My tank levels are are fairly low. Gh 30 kh 0 ph 6.0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20. I do 10 % water change once a week.
I use API stress enzyme and API stress coat+ at th moment with some aquarium salt.
My tank prior was cycled, I just recently moved them over to a 36g tank. The 36g was cycled as well.
I treated them before moving them for ice etc before I moved them other tank.
I did just add a Denison Barb and he rubbed on a rock as well.
But not all my fish do this and the ones that do it’s only here and there nothing constant.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site!

Sounds like a nice, active setup, but that's a lot of fish for a 36gal tank IMO and red tail sharks need something much larger.

Based on your stocking level, a 10% weekly water change isn't going to be enough.

In terms of the flashing, given you've added a bunch of new fish into this tank, all you can do is monitor, observe and hope for the best. I'm not one to medicate unless I know exactly what I am medicating for. I'd feed very lightly and skip days. As a last effort, you can increase aeration and crank up the water temp and increase water changes to see if if's something bacterial or parasitic. This should speed it along.

Reactions: northernlady

Dblock

AC Members
Jan 20, 2020
Thanks!
I do plan on getting a larger tank. I know a red tail alone needs a 55g or larger. All my fish are still young and small. I figured if they grow together they could stand each other in the long run. I also have other tanks I can use if they decide to not get along. I made sure to have a lot of hiding places for them. I see no aggression at this point from any of them but I will definitely keep my eye on it. And make necessary changes.
I’ll do more , frequent water changes and aeration.
Thanks again!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Some of the "stuff" you're using may also cause irritation. Stress coat can kind of gunk up gills & slime coat, that's how it works. That can be ok for short term to protect the slime coat damage from netting them & a tiny bit to keep ich from imbedding quite so easily but is NOT a preventative or treatment. Aquarium salt should not be used all the time IMO & can also cause some irritation. Slowly remove it over several water changes (If you need to use salt as a treatment, use regular table salt).

Many of us use Prime as a dechlorinator & change more water at a time. Your nitrate level is ok, under 20ppm is good, 10 is better. Unless you have live plants, then even less, as plants should be using some. Don't feel bad about using test strips for a rough idea but it's good you'll get a better test kit.

Just a hint, denisonii barbs are schooling fish & sharks often chase similar shaped fish when they get big & more territorial. Both would be better in a 4ft tank but maybe not together...

Good luck & we'd love pics!

Reactions: the loach

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love the rocks & skull! Do the "jellies" bob around in the current? I think I've seen them or similar before.

& for something else to think, about how about some java fern or anubias plants? Yes, I'm talking live plants. Those are easy in almost any light, don't need fertilizers & your fish might like to graze on the leaves. Neither is planted in the substrate but tied or gel super glued to rocks or wood. There's nothing like real plants in tanks! OK, I belong to a plant club, lol.

Dblock

AC Members
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you. The jellies just sway in the current. They’re from Amazon.
I definitely want to get some real plants and a nice piece or 2 of driftwood to complete the tank.
I think I have a Java fern in another tank of mine. I liked it, but it started growing leaves at the end of the leaves with long brown hairs. I’m not sure if the light I have made it do this .
I can take a picture so you can see if you haven’t seen this before. Or is this this what it does?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store