"Forward-mouthed" catfish thoughts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I've been reading everything I can find on catfish, and I finally found a term to describe what I think I'm looking for.

My 55g tank will have some panda cory cats, and I'd like to add a larger catfish (or a pair or group if necessary). I'd like this larger fish to look more like what I've always envisioned when I thought "catfish," which I think means having a mouth in the front, like a red-tail catfish. I know red tails are too big, so perhaps I'm looking for the closest thing to a dwarf red-tail kitten. :)

The mouth thing is what always bugged me about the synodonts; they look kind of like a cross between a pleco and a cory cat, with the mouth on the bottom. They can't smile like the forward-mouthed fishies.

What are some good options for a 55g tank? I know of pictus, porthole, and SA bumblebee catfish. Extra points for not hiding all the time like Raphaels and for not staying at the bottom all the time.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Dang, i was gonna say a rapheal but they tend to hide alot. All i can think of is the gulper catfish. But its mouth is huge and WILL eat anything that can fit in its mouth.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept either but I like striped tail portholes & hoplos, both are more mid water swimmers. Not sure their mouths count as forward facing. What's not to like about dianaema? Not "catfishy" enough? I think there'd be lots of takers for a red tailed kitten in the 4 inch range, lol.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Pictus get to be in the vicinity of 8 inches or so, and in my experience, are very active. They'll also, like other predatory fish, eat anything that fits in their mouths. I think they look pretty cool, and if I had a tank to dedicate to larger (but not monster) fish, I'd stock with some cories, pictus, and Denison barbs.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Forward-mouthed catfish huh? I see big tanks in your future! :D I agree with what your saying about the catfish "look", plecos and cories are not what I ever envisioned as catfish although I do look all my bottom dwellers! Forward-mouthed catfish are that way because they are predators or at least will eat whatever fits in their large mouths, so keep that in mind and they mostly get big. Pictus are tops on my list to get again because of their long whiskers, body shape, size and activity. If you had a 75 I think you'd enjoy the colombian shark. Interested to see what else turns up.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The best candidate that I can think of--and really, I wouldn't put it in with your parrot, because these guys are LITTLE...Orange Banded Hillstream catfish. They hide, but are very active for a catfish. Small mouth means they won't eat fish other than fry, and they truly are the cutest things. I adore mine. They're happy in a group, pile on top of each other under rocks and leaves. Easy to feed. But they won't get much bigger than 1.5 in, so not suitable for a setup with big fish that might eat them.

Cksnffr

AC Members
Aug 5, 2013
I'm obsessed now. :) So here's a list of medium-sized "forward-mouthed" catfish that might be good for a 55-gallon tank. Please feel free to add or subtract as you see fit!

• South American Bumblebee
  • Pictus
  • Pimelodella Four-Line
  • Hoplo
  • Porthole
  • Porthole, Striped-Tail
  • Honeycomb/Oil
  • Raphael, Spotted
  • Raphael, Striped

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
4 line pims get too big for a 55g, almost 10 inches SL (not including tail). They might be a bit smaller in tanks but corys might be in trouble. Pictus are awfully active, too much for corys? SA bumble bees so cute but nocturnal as are tiny hara & akysis. I found raphs to be pretty... but invisible...I wonder if some of the nocturnal fish would be out & about with moon lights, I dunno. Will this tank have a parrot?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Of the 2 rapheals i had( spotted and stripped) i think the spotted is better looking imo. Yes they can be invisible alot of the times but ive also seen them out and about during the day being very active. But thats only in my case. I think with moon lights you should be able to see them swimming around.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store