"Forward-mouthed" catfish thoughts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Possibly--it would be the strange hybrid red parrot. I'm looking for a goldfish-like fish to accompany the kitties. Another possibility is a few long-finned gold barbs.
All parrots are strange hybrids. They're not naturally occurring fish.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Sorry authmal, gotta disagree. While the gold gouramis do have *beautiful* coloration and I love their trailing/feeler "fins," it's undeniable what a cute face and personality blood parrots have, imo. ;) To the op, did you find your dream catfish yet? Maybe have a look at bluegrassaquatics, they usually have a lot of not so common fish. Perhaps they have a catfish species none of us have thought of/mentioned. :) Have you been to planetcatfish yet? You can search by adult size I believe.

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Sorry authmal, gotta disagree. While the gold gouramis do have *beautiful* coloration and I love their trailing/feeler "fins," it's undeniable what a cute face and personality blood parrots have, imo. ;) To the op, did you find your dream catfish yet? Maybe have a look at bluegrassaquatics, they usually have a lot of not so common fish. Perhaps they have a catfish species none of us have thought of/mentioned. :) Too bad there's no dwarf red tails or tiger shovelnoses that max out at 6-8."
Tough call between gold gourami and parrot... I like the gourami's red eyes and pec fins, but parrots have personality. ..

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Pectoral fins, that's what their called! They also have the bright color too going for them, though I wish there were natural not cruely dyed blue or turquiose ones. To the op, I highly recommend going on planetcatfish.com. I was just on there now, and you can search by mouth shape as well! :D I found an old post by someone looking for a rtc like fish, and someone mentioned the cephalosilurus sp. Sadly the smallest is 12," but from what I can tell on my crappy phone from the pic, their similar to red tail kitty cats. A step in the right direction at least! EDIT: Alas, I found a species! pseudopimelodus raninus (bumble bee catfish) grows to 6", will eat tank mates under 3". It is seclusive though, so you probably wouldnt see him too often. Thats gonna be a hard thing to find though, an active out and about finned kitty that has the forward mouth.

Last edited:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Don't bother with the Colombian sharks (yes they are catfish) you need a very large tanks for them as you need to keep a group of 6 at minimum. They rarely flourish well in smaller groups. Not meaning you can't keep less but because they are high-strung they do best with several of their own kind. Many places quote them as maxing out at 6" but I never found that to be true. Mine always got bigger.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Not too mention, they need a brackish as young adults to even fully marine set up as adults whose adult size in the wild is close to two feet. I've only read about 14" ones on forums so far. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store