Freshwater fish that look like saltwater ones?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kdklaff

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
Sacramento California
Visit site
Hi, I heard that there are freshwater tropical fish that look like saltwater fish, is that true? Are their colors as vibrant? I'd love to get some more information on how to get a tank together with these fish? I wonder if someone out there could provide a list of species and a couple of hints, perhaps a good book or magazine? Thanks for your help!

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
The best looking freshwater fish in my opinion is the Microgeophagus ramirezi "butterfly or blue ram". When they are mature they have very vibrant colors.
Also some tetras have nice colors that are similar to marine fish.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I love the look of Butterflies/Rams, and I would highly recommend them for an established tank. If your water isn't conducive to them, I would go with (again, using an established tank) the Malawians and Victorians. Can you tell us a little about your tanks (if already established) and your local tap water?

kdklaff

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
Sacramento California
Visit site
tanks.

Right now I only have one fish tank its 20gal. It’s freshwater with the tap water provided by Sacramento County. I have treated the water with a treatment solution I got at Petco. I am inheriting a 55gal tank from a friend who is moving. She already has fish in it, but I wanted to try a salt-water tank. Everyone I have talked to says it's not a good idea, because they require a lot of attention and I travel quite a bit. I thought perhaps I could establish a saltwater feel with freshwater fish, you know sand and coral like rocks with vibrant colored fish? I have had fish most of my life, though this tank will be the largest. Thank you everyone for your input, just let me know what information I can provide to help you help me. This is great.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, not to stray off topic, but a 55 gallon SW tank is perfectly workable as long as you can get it set up and running, and provide the same level of maintenance as a FW tank will require (ie, topoffs of FW, regular water changes, regular feedings). If anything, SW can be much less maintenance than a FW setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store