Freshwater fish that look like saltwater ones?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
SW fish cost more than the average FW fish, and setting up a SW tank costs more as well, depending on what you want to stock. Running a SW tank is different that a FW tank, but it's not harder. Years ago, you used to have to mix the salt yourself, and that could be hard. Now, you purchase a prepared mix (such as Instant Ocean), and it's pretty easy.

Come check out the marine section here! Search around for setting up a tank, and you'll get a feel for what you'd need to purchase, and how much it will cost. Doing a 55 FOWLR could be done fairly cheap--under $400, less since you won't need to buy the tank. And you could easily spread that cost out over several months, so it wouldn't require a huge amount up front.

kdklaff

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
Sacramento California
Visit site
going over to check out the marine section.

Thanks everyone, I really want saltwater, so I am going to check out the marine section, if it ends up being too much, I'll be back. Thanks again for all your input.

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
You know what cracks me up? The people that have never owned a SW tank advise you not to get one because it's too dificult and poeple that own one say there's no difference.:rolleyes:

kdklaff

AC Members
Apr 18, 2003
Sacramento California
Visit site
I take it you own a SW tank.

You know everyone that gave me advice, with the exception of one, has never owned a SW tank. And the one that did, didn't, it was at her office and she just recalls how much they charged to take care of the tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I have a 40 gallon planted tank, a 20 gallon planted tank, a 5 gallon planted tank, and 2 2.5 gallon planted tanks at home, in addition to a total of 180 gallons of SW. I spend about 1.5 hours doing weekly water changes, and maintenance and cleaning on the FW stuff, plus another 30 minutes every other month or so on complete cleanings of the filter and powerheads. The saltwater, well, there's about 30 minutes of water change every other week, and about 5 minutes a couple times a week dealing with top off water or a touch up on algae growth, and then about 30 minutes every 6 months cleaning power heads and such.

Once it's up and stable, SW tanks are much less work than planted FW tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store