Freshwater puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Many folks keep Ghost or Amano shrimp with DPs, just about everybody at the dwarf puffer site uses Otocinclus cats in planted DPs. But in such a small tank you have to be concerned with overstocking.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A 50% change will still be best. Lots of plants will help as well. I still can't keep ghost shrimp in with my dwarves--the little buggers pick the shrimp apart.

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
its not so much that im worried about the DP being agressive, ghost shrimp are a dime a dozen, as are most snails, its more that im worried about overstocking the tank.

And i also have to watch out when im cleaning the tank i guess, the site said the DP are really curious and will sometimes get too close to the syphon.

Thanks guys, youve helped a lot

Last edited:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Just set up the tank today. 5.5gal rectangle glass.
White gravel
wisteria and sword(2)
Black Slate
20watt fluorescent (too much?, i have a 10watt too)

no fish, of course
starting fishless soon

ill get some pics as soon as the water clears up (all cloudy from the gravel, even after i washed it)

question about lighting: i heard that DPs become a lot more vibrant with more light, turning yellows and greens. Is 10-20watts enough?

Last edited:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
I have plenty of time to search around, but anyone know the best type of snail to feed your DP? i heard that you should avoid MTS, and Apple snails becuase their shell is too hard. My lfs only sells apple snails, and i dont think petco is much better

Last edited:

LittlePuff

LittlePuff
May 18, 2004
Peoria,IL
Visit site
Pond snails. Get a small tank (anything up to 5gal.) Go to your LFS and ask for some pond/pest snails. Put them in the tank with an airstone. Feed them anything (leftovers, flake algae wafers or flakes etc..) Within a few weeks, you should have some babies. You might want to get more to add while you wait.

Kim

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Would snails help the cylce? if so, could i just keep them in the empty DP tank and move them when im ready to put the DPs in?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Snails will help cycle, but it takes a lot of snails to equal a fish load. Then you would need to remove a significant number when the puffers go in -to keep from overloading the filters and the puffer's bellies.

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
im just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone; cylce tank and grow food source. That way the extra food can create a source of ammonia anyways. So hopefully the ammonia wont kill the snails

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store