Freshwater puffers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
ok, considering ive outposted everyone 5 to 1 on this thread, ill keep it brief:

Update:
DP tank all done! Im currently cycling. Ive ordered some Bio-Spira online, hopefully that will come soon.

i need backround ideas, all i have is a blue posterboard, i might just stick with that. I will most likely move the slate around, check out different positions. Im really proud of the way it came out:

http://public.fotki.com/chunksofpoooo/finished_dp_tank/

tell me what you think

Update #2!
new setup

I moved the slate around a bit, tell me which one looks better guys
im deff thinking #2

i look forward to your ideas

http://public.fotki.com/chunksofpoooo/finished_dp_tank/ (last three pics)

pay no attention to the goldfish, im just holding them for a friend for a day while the tank sets up

Last edited:

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I like the slate angled, but I could see a cory napping on that flat slate lol. Nice job.
For a back ground check out the various patterned shelf papers or wall papers in your hardware store. (solid colors, rock, marbled etc.) Tin foil works nice, if you wrinkle it all up. Plain plastic book wrap in blue or black. Good thing about them is its cheap and replaceable when you get bored with it. Just use cooking oil to slide it on.

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
thanks for the tip littlepuff

ill look into some anacharis or more wisteria next time i go to my lfs

first nitrite spike today....not really a spike, but its at about .8 to 1ppm (was at 0)

im going to pick up some bio spira today or thursday, lfs is getting new shipments

ill post some pics of the puffers when i get them

Last edited:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
if im gonna get 2, do they both have to be female?

ammonia dropped from 3ppm to 2ppm today
nitrite up

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
if im gonna get 2, do they both have to be female?
For a tank that small, yes.

Sounds like your fishless cycle is coming along. :dance

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
Pufferpunk said:
Sounds like your fishless cycle is coming along. :dance

yeh im really excited, i thought it would take longer. Im still looking for Bio spira, lfs is supposed to get it tomorrow

edit note*
its probably from the rock wool from the live plants i got from my lfs. just checked nitrites and ammonia

ammonia: ~1.5-2ppm
nitrite: ~8-10ppm

whoo hooo :D

Last edited:

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
I'm so mad... How come everyone else's tanks look 10x better than mine?! :thud: That's so depressing...

Where'd you get your slate, Dave? And where's the filter in there? *grumbles at her large black one dominating the tank*

It looks so lovely. :) I saw some dwarf puffers at Petsmart today and thought about getting some for my 5 gallon. I don't think I'll end up doing so, though. :rolleyes: Good job setting up your tank, Dave! It really looks fantastic! I'm envious. :)

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
dont be so hard on yourself, your tanks look great!
but thanks for the complements :D

i love the new lfs i found, it carries everything. And the people who work their actually know what they're talking about (they refused to sell an oscar to some dude who was getting a 5gal, talked him into getting a larger tank and gave him a discount). I got the slate there.

As far as the final look, i think it had a lot to do with luck.

Ive taken countless art classes, maybe all that stuff is finally clicking. The other option i was looking at was black gravel, red lava rock, and wisteria. I liked the slate though. Its all about contrast and focal points...or something stupid like that, i really cant remember anythign from those classes. The filter is a small dynaflow10gal, its hidden behind the sword on the left of the tank, next to the heater.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store