German Blue Ram experts pleaasee!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
You left a comment about my shark .....a very un-needed comment if you had taken the time to read my whole post.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
The one's I bought always looked healthy too. Just want you to have a head's up. Ask them where they came from.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Here's my two cents, although my experience with rams seems to be the reverse of what I hear from most!

My LFS sells locally bred GBRs for $5.99. They have been very hardy fish for me, even in our local water (hard as a rock, pH of 8.0). It's actually surprising to me when I hear so many others talk about them being a delicate fish. Guess I've really lucked out!

I've kept GBRs for a while now, but several weeks ago I brought home my first Bolivian rams (also $5.99 at my LFS). I have to say, I'm disappointed. They are SO shy compared to my Germans, who were all over the place and always the first to come to the front of the tank when I approached. Also, they are still pretty boring color-wise. I would have expected them to be showing some color by now (red of the fins, yellow belly maybe?) but they're still pretty much tan all over. Perhaps these Bolivians are just slow to adjust, but I think I'll probably stick with GBRs in the future.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Holmes...the key was exactly what you said..LOCALLY BRED GBRs. Not mass produced imports

pjrichar

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Indianapolis,In
yep,,, i will not buy another one from a lfs unless its homebred. my next ones will prob be from breeder online if I attempt them again. And I will because they just look so dang good...

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
THANK GOD FOR YOU, FISHLOCK HOLMES!! Lol. I was starting to get cold feet because everyone's telling me they're super hard to care for!

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
THANK GOD FOR YOU, FISHLOCK HOLMES!! Lol. I was starting to get cold feet because everyone's telling me they're super hard to care for!
Ha ha, I guess it's all a matter of where you get them from. I'd say they're definitely worth a try! And your tank looks great for a pair of GBRs... I'm sure they'll love it!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Tabis...I think you are missing the point. I have 6 in my tank right now. I love them!! They are great fish. I went through 10 of them from different LFS and they all died. Which at 9.99 was quite an expense. I'm just trying to save you some heartache and money. If you do a search on HERE you will find LOTS of people saying the same thing. Find a local breeder or a breeder on aquabid. LFS stock is NOT good unless they have bought from an individual (which was actually my case).
Just ask where their stock came from. If they don't want to tell you...don't buy them. They may look good in the LFS tank...that doesn't mean they are good stock. Again not trying to dissuade you from GBRs...they are grogeous and fun...but if you don't search out good stock...you will not have a good experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store