German Blue Rams and cory's not getting along.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well.... I have those on my tanks (or used to) and 2 were able to grow all sorts of algae on my 30tall and are currently growing a ton of plants in my 10gal.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Ok, good! How did you fix them up there? Just use shop-lights or? I'm currently trying ti figure that part out... I'd like for them to fit under the cover at the top of my tank but if they can't, no big deal.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
100w is the equivalent amount of energy needed to light an incandescent with similar output, so really it is just a 26w output since "watts per gallon" is based off of fluorescent.

That being said wpg is a horrible rule that pretty much breaks down on small tanks, large tanks, depends on the quality of reflectors used, and was made with only T12s in mind...hardly anyone uses T12s on a planted tank anymore...

For a 29 gallon you probably could get away with using two or three if you stick to lower light plants. If you want something more then it would be easier to just buck up and buy a fixture.

There are ways to DIY a CFL fixture or you can try the less aesthetic approach and rig up some clamps.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Ok, good! How did you fix them up there? Just use shop-lights or? I'm currently trying ti figure that part out... I'd like for them to fit under the cover at the top of my tank but if they can't, no big deal.
They were in a ten gallon standard incandecent hood. They were from Walmart at one point I think, IDK if you can still find them there though. For the tanks that were too large to hold the light up I just used two smaller peices of wood to hold it up.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
Well this is making me kind of want to buy one instead of DIY. What's the cheapest you think I can find that'll give me ~3W/gal for a 36" x 12" 30 gallon? I don't know where to start looking.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you're wanting to *buy* a light fixture, Amazon.com has some. Google will be your friend though, to research each individual fixture. IME, Amazon, while the pricing is good, the information is kinda minimal, and reviews are, like pretty much everywhere, hit or miss for validity.

cab395

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
In that case I'm just going to do 2 or three of those CFL's pictured and go from there. Thanks everyone!

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
might be best to move things around stir up the bottom abit , i re do my tank every 2 months or so re-arrange things to stop territores being established
and corys are jsut blind anywhere they dont care whos fins they step on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store