Getting a toad for the first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Virginia Barton

AC Members
Apr 10, 2018
ratedbystudents.com
I would like to get a toad but in fact, I know nothing about them, neither where should I start. Which species are the best for a beginner? How much place do they need? Where do I get food for them (visited several local shops and they offer nothing for toads)? How do I take care of a toad in winter? Heard they need at least 2 week hibernation at the temperature below 50 degrees, am I supposed to keep a toad in a fridge?
Please save my future pet:)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
First...what kind of toad? Toad is not a specific animal, rather it's a common name for a wide range of animals, sort of like saying 'I want a fish.'. Biologically, there isn't a difference between a frog and a toad, it's just different common names for amphibians (mostly, I'm guessing you don't want the reptile).

Once you pick a species, then you can research it's needs. Some are entirely tropical, others do indeed need a hibernation period. That can be accomplished by moving them to a cooler room/basement, or yes, a fridge that can be controlled well enough not to harm them by going too low.There are also a number of species that are fully aquatic.African clawed frogs are some of the easiest to keep. A 20-30 gallon tank with a good filter, smooth substrate, and a lid is all they need. They eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so can't be kept with anything smaller, but a pair will be fine together. They don't require a hibernation period, either, and are available at most pet shops in states where they are legal.

In terms of terrestrial animals, the closest in terms of ease of care might be the South American Horned,or pacman frogs. They get rather large, but aren't terribly active, so a 10 gallon tank will be fine for one. For more, check here: http://reptilerapture.net/pacman-caresheet.html They have animals for sale as well, and provide good details on their care.

Keep in mind that frogs and toads can be VERY long lived animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store