Ghost Shrimp just hatched! What do they eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
I bought a female ghost shrimp with eggs just a few days ago, and they all hatched last night! I put the adults in another tank, as I've read they'll prey upon smaller shrimp. Any advice on what to feed the young?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Im pretty sure they need brackish conditions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't need brackish but larval shrimp can be very hard to keep alive. Not really sure what to feed FW ones more familiar with marine larval shrimp, brine might work.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I don't feed my RCS babies at all, they seem to be fine filter feeding and munching on the itty bitty particles of food the adults don't eat... but maybe someone else has an idea

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I don't feed my RCS babies at all, they seem to be fine filter feeding and munching on the itty bitty particles of food the adults don't eat... but maybe someone else has an idea
RCS are what is referred to as high order breeders, this means the babies hatch as fully formed individuals (little miniatures of their parents). Ghost shrimp on the other hand are known as low order breeders, their eggs hatch in larval form and then mature into adult shrimp.

Murg7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
PA
Real Name
Connor
many juvenile shrimp eat small plant matter and scraps. Yes even though some juveniles are carnivores or cannibals, many shrimp will not resort to this until large amounts of plant matter is devoured.

rastoma

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
Jasper, TN
Don't need brackish but larval shrimp can be very hard to keep alive. Not really sure what to feed FW ones more familiar with marine larval shrimp, brine might work.
Yes larval ghost shrimp need brackish to full marine to grow and mature. They then migrate towards freshwater as they get closer to adults. They then go back to saltwater to breed.

That's why it's so difficult to breed them in the home aquarium.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I must say that they DO NOT need brackish or marine environments to grow. I have personally hatched and grown ghost shrimp, mostly on accident. The larvae have no legs and no arms, but they are tiny little predators. They feed on the infusoria in your tanks. A well established tank will usually have "scum" on the glass and such and that is usually enough. My tank did not have enough, so I added paramecium into the water, and that yielded pretty good results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store