Glo-Fish = Danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Oh so I guess the same rule applies to the blushing angels,ive heard that the skin covering their gills are actually transparent which makes the gills visible, i'm sure if this is very much coloration, more on the side of mutation.
hmmm - cool. I did a little research and what I read saif that there are basically 4 main species of angelfish and all the color variations come from selective breeding.

brackbrat

AC Members
Jul 15, 2008
WI
Wow, has this ever gotten off topic. It's been informative though. XD

I don't know, I just have to agree with whoever said it before... I like my fish natural looking. I want my tank to look like a natural habitat (or as close as I can get with my budget!)--not a some geneticist's lab. Just mho.

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Wow, has this ever gotten off topic. It's been informative though. XD

I don't know, I just have to agree with whoever said it before... I like my fish natural looking. I want my tank to look like a natural habitat (or as close as I can get with my budget!)--not a some geneticist's lab. Just mho.
LOL, I was just going to say that! It started from GloFish to Pigs to Cats to Spider to Parakeets to Albinism and now to Coloration and Mutations! LOL! In some way they all relate because they are all variation or Injections of some type. IMO

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
And as long as the original poster doesn't mind things straying a little I don't think it's a problem :)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
hmmm - cool. I did a little research and what I read saif that there are basically 4 main species of angelfish and all the color variations come from selective breeding.
As far as I know the Pterophyllum genus only has three official* species: altum, leopoldi, and scalare...

*although some think there are more, as I think some are doubting whether "peruvians" are actually a strian of scalares...

:huh:

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
I guess that would make me the Original Poster! I am overly okay with this thread go off topic because this is information that I have never known before! I bet you guys, except for lesser28, didnt know much of this either!

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Since we are talking about deformations, I was wondering how they get the desired shape of the fish? Is it by Selective Breeding?

srikamaraja

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
There is no injection of any sort involved in the production, and later, breeding, of GloFish danios.

steelhumm

AC Members
May 23, 2008
wow...great thread!! Thanks to many (specially lesser) my son (4yo) and I learned alot!! Thanks for all the info. I think my boy is gonna be a scientist when he gets older...he LOVES this stuff, and sadly knew more about this than I :confused:

are these glofish the ones I see at my LFS that has a sign that say's best if your tank has actinic lighting for full glow effect?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store