Glo-Fish = Danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steelhumm

AC Members
May 23, 2008
that would explain why my actinic light never did squat for them fishes color!!! I'm gonna tell them tomorrow when I make my weekly run to the store...have them change the sign.thanks

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
wow...great thread!! Thanks to many (specially lesser) my son (4yo) and I learned alot!! Thanks for all the info. I think my boy is gonna be a scientist when he gets older...he LOVES this stuff, and sadly knew more about this than I :confused:

are these glofish the ones I see at my LFS that has a sign that say's best if your tank has actinic lighting for full glow effect?
basically glofish are glofish, there no other types of glofish, they will show their best coloration if they are under a black light with a black backround, anyother fish in that lighting would look horrible unless they have fluorescent coloring, and I think I should be thanked for making this tottaly awesome thread!

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Thanks for making this an awesome thread :)

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
LOL ^, No thank you for making this an informative thread, LOL x2

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i know this is random, but since they are inserting genes to cause glowing from jellyfish. could they inset the gene from crabs that makes them regenerate limbs???? cuz that would be alot more helpful than "glowing"

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Would that that were a single gene, or even a complex of them.
so if they can isolate that gene and or genes, can it be possible?

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
It was black light, not actinic.
I don't have black light, but my glofish look pretty cool under my LED moon lights.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
so if they can isolate that gene and or genes, can it be possible?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how the mechanism works. It's one thing to put a single gene coding a single protein into an alien species; transferring an entire physiological system is something else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store