Glock's 120 Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
Well I decided to make a build thread to keep track of everything so far.

I got this tank off craigs list for $150. It was in surprisingly good shape and just needs a good cleaning.
DSC_1683.JPG
DSC_1684.JPG

Thats what I was working on today, cleaning all the crap off it. I got a lot of the calcium deposits off by hand but need to go back with a sharper scraper to get the rest, especially the glass tops.
DSC_1729.JPG
DSC_1730.JPG
DSC_1734.JPG
DSC_1735.JPG
DSC_1736.JPG
DSC_1737.JPG

I would have taken more photo's with the top on it but I got stung by a ground bee on the last photo.

I decided I am going to use pool filter sand as substrate for the sting rays with a large piece of manzanite wood as the center piece. I might put a few plants on the manazanite to grow in.

As far as filters..

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp17290/si1382183/cl0/marinelandmagnum350filter

I will be running 2 of these. The inputs will be put on the corners to maximize the debris pick up with the out flow blowing from the center downwards in front. I may buy a third one at a later date to keep as a back up in case one craps out on me.

As for heater, I will also run 2 x 250 watt heaters.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18534/si1382763/cl0/jagerheater250watt

Though I have a feeling I may want 300 watt heaters...

I will be getting 2 teacup stingrays for this aquarium. My angel who has gotten quite large will also be the other inhabitant along with 10 CAE's.

DSC_1683.JPG DSC_1684.JPG DSC_1729.JPG DSC_1730.JPG DSC_1734.JPG DSC_1735.JPG DSC_1736.JPG DSC_1737.JPG

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
for the price of those heaters you may want to go to drsfostersmith.com and get a couple visitherm stealth heaters by marineland!

good luck!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Can't wait to see this progress!

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Love looking at pics , keep em coming

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
Reason i'm doing Big Al's is because there shipping is pretty cheap for me and I don't want ot pay for shipping from 2 different sites:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU.../aquariumsystemsvisithermstealthheater250watt

So that's the new heater.

As far as lighting, this came with 4 x 30" light strips that will have day light plant bulbs put in them. I haven't decided on plants yet, my father is a plastic plant fan boy.

I think i'm going to steal Zigman's puck light idea and have those put in the top :)

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
looking good! Is this tank going to be sand or bare bottom? No plants I would guess?
Pool filter sand as the bottom. If there are any plants it will be growing on the manzanite.

After reading more about FW stingrays, particularly the Colombian Ray (Teacup Stingray) i'm starting have doubts about getting ray's. They look cool to have when there younger but when they get large it would break my heart to have them suffer due to them getting 14" wide and almost 30" long.

I'm drawn between looking more into this and if they really do get that large or just do a nice school of Angel's and Neon tetra's.

Edit:

I also just thought of something. Would a UV sterilizer be worth putting on? I was thinking about one to help kill algae pollen and bad bacteria.

Last edited:

gotglock

The CowBacon Movement
Dec 3, 2008
S. Elgin, IL
great stuff.

I would consider getting 2 -200W heaters for a tank that size.

2-300w or even 2-250w is a lot for a tank that size.

3w per gallon is a good rule of thumb.
Im getting the larger heaters because my basement is really cold in my new room and in the winter i'll need the extra power anyways. I can always turn down the heaters to low to keep it at 78 or even turn one off for the time being. Because this tank is large I will be ordering 2 digital thermometers (one for the bottom and one for the top).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store