Going out of town

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catfishcity

AC Members
Dec 19, 2008
I am going out of town this upcoming weekend and am going to be gone for 5 days. i have 2 clownfish in a 24 gallon nano cube and was wondering how i should feed them. i have seen those feeder pyramids at the petstore and was wondering if that would be ok. the problem with someone coming over is that there really anyone that could come over that i could trust to not kill them. please help

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
ok Do NOT get those pyramid feeders. They do not work in the saltwater aquarium. Do your clowns eat flakes? if they do, then get one of those automatic feeder things and set it up to your tank. since they dump alot of food in, I would test it out and c how much food is dumped each time. Also how long are you gone for?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Don't feed them. They will be fine left for 5 days without food. Probably won't be happy with you but they will be fine. Fish can go 3 weeks without food. If it were longer than 5 days I would probably offer different advice, but I think 5 days is about the limit for as long as I would go without feeding if I had to. What about your water evaporation though? Not bad this time of year?

tennesseemom

Shrimp Herder
Nov 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
blueinredstate.tumblr.com
When I went out of town for a week, I made up an envelope for each day and put the day of the week on it, and put them on top of each tank. That way the neighbor just had to empty that days food from the envelope into each tank.

catfishcity

AC Members
Dec 19, 2008
thanks for the info ace and tennessee. the problem with doing to bag thing is that i have never fed them flake i only feed them a homemade mixture that i defrost and then put it in there tank

Devilish

AC Members
Jun 8, 2007
Northeast NJ
What if you were to take some of the mixture and put the correct portion in an ice cube tray. One cube section per day. Should be tough for anyone to that foul that up. Or just don't feed like Ace25 suggested.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you have a friend or neighbor you trust, you can always teach them how to feed the tank. I was gone for 2 weeks over Christmas so I needed someone to feed the tank while I was gone. I placed each days worth of food in a section of week-long pill boxes (I feed frozen stuff too), taught her how to defrost it and how to feed the tank (even how to feed my sun coral) even though she didn't have any experience with a tank. The key was I REALLY trusted her and left detailed instructions on how to do everything in addition to the little training session. I came home to a happy and healthy tank. But again as Ace said, if it's only 5 days you don't really need to worry about it. If you want you can always stock the tank with pods before you leave so they have something to snack on while you're gone.

st0l1

AC Members
Dec 16, 2007
I be more worried about evaporation in my nano, if I left for 5 days. Devilish makes a great suggestion to fool proof feeding, if a friend was to come over to take care of it for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store