Goldfish Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angel fresh

AC Members
May 23, 2010
i must say that koi are not very compatable with fancy slow moving fish, i have seen koi ripping off the eye area of a black moore and a red cap and my friend had to take it back to the pet store , especailly bigger kois are more into attitude towards preying. though i have been able to keep a batch of guppies and angels with goldies peacefully when i did not knew the compatability issue( in the beggining of the hobby). but when i added some new guppies into aquariuum it all started pec pec pec on the tails, fins and gill side of the goldies.
i would say no guppies and no kois, angels yes but donot feed minced meat it makes any fish offensive.

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
I haven't found any major compatibility issues with goldfish and most other relatively peaceful species of fish that are not timid. Goldfish are tolerant of tropical temperatures into the low 80s without any apparent ill effects in my experience, and I know of at least one study done with Cyprinus carpio (which are so closely related to C. auratus that the two species can interbreed) in which temperature was a variable, and in which the fish were kept in water as warm as 36*C/99*F. With that in mind, while they may be happier in cooler water, the difference between 70-75 that most unheated indoor tanks are going to be at and the 77-78 that most tropical tanks are kept at is likely inconsequential to the fish and keeping them with tropical species is not likely to pose a problem.

I wouldn't keep any long-finned variety (including comets) with something prone to fin nipping, obviously, and goldfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth that holds still long enough for them to grab it, so keeping much smaller fish (esp. with fast goldfish) is ill-advised if you care about the smaller fish. Keeping them with anything they might try to fit in their mouths that has spines (i.e. small catfish, loaches) is also probably not a good idea, for obvious reasons. I also wouldn't keep them with timid fish like say, neons, as the goldfish are likely to be too active and boisterous for more timid tankmates and will wind up stressing them out.

I think anything that can stand up for itself without being a bully or being eaten will be just fine though; in the past I've had them with male Bettas*, guppies, platies, corys and zebra danios without issue. I currently have three small comets in a 30G with two small butterfly koi, a 4" dojo loach, 3 white clouds and a clown plec that needed an emergency re-homing. The only issue I have is the occasional disappearance of white clouds, which I expected and which doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't have any concerns (aside from the appearance of the tank...) combining small (<4") comets with tiger or checkered barbs, harlequin rasboras, danios, or some of the more boisterous tetras (don't ask me which ones, I don't generally like tetras). I think that any of the more laid back schooling fish would get overrun though, and I think that something that's markedly more aggressive than goldfish-cichlids come to mind-is going to end up beating the snot out of them. And larger goldfish (or fancy species with swimming/visual impediments) should probably be kept either alone or with the fish that people typically recommend, i.e. white clouds, dojo loaches, and that's about it.

*note that Bettas + goldfish is a crapshoot at best; Bettas vary widely in temperament and while I've had a few that were OK with being dumped in with pretty much whatever, a lot of them are not this laid back and mixing them with other brightly colored fish of similar size has the potential to end with a really pissed off betta and a dead fish.

SweetieAngel

AC Members
Jun 12, 2010
I have four Zebra Danios in with my fantail goldfish and though he is still a baby they seem to get along fine. They even share hiding spots from time to time :)

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Has anyone ever thought of adding Blue Paradise Fish to the list of compatible fish? They have the same temp requirements and dont fin nip.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
We keep female bristle nose plecos (2) and anubias plants successfully in our goldfish tank.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I've got fancy goldfish, orandas, and ryukins, and I have had a lot of success with the fish I have in with them. There is an albino bristlenose pleco, a regular pleco (albeit tiny), several varieties of cory's, and african featherfin, and an eclipse catfish. No one bothers anyone, my fish get fed small amounts several times a day so I've never had attacking problems. My cory's are big enough they don't fit in any mouths even though the goldies are getting huge... I could see how it would be a bad idea with like Koi or standard goldfish. . . But for me it works out just fine! I know the water temperatures aren't compatible, but I keep my tank right at 80degrees and everyone is happy and flourishing. Its only been nine months since I got my goldies and my "babies" have gone from about 2" coming from the pet store, to my biggest is probably closing in on 5" now.

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I'm getting a tank off CL, but the guy is making me take his 8 tetras. I have 2, soon to be 3 with the addition of his, fancy goldfish....They're no bigger than 4 inches so I don't think them eating his 2 inch tetras should be a problem....but will they be ok in a 75 gallon together until I can find a new home? Or should I keep them in my spare 10 gallon? I have a friend coming to take them off my hands in a few days, but I want to make sure they're safe.

peaceful fishy

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2012
I have kept koi and comets together for years in my outdoor pond and in the winter in the indoor pond with no issues. I don't have that set up now and found anew home for the koi. For the past three years my goldfish(1 foot long) has been out in the pond for the summer and then transferrred to a heated tank with cories and guppies. He doesn't eat a guppy unless by mistake when trying to get his floating pellets. I keep lots of jave and anubias. I finally have been able to sell my salt tank set up and am waiting for my substrate order before setting up the 75 gal for him. I took in a pleco which grew like crazy and started chasing the goldfish around, the pleco has a new home. So while this hasn't been ideal, the goldfish has been going strong and soon hope to make it right for him. I am researching cold water set up and companions for the tank.

peaceful fishy

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2012
Hi again, looking at the compatability list. One set up I had with koi and goldfish left trap door snails alone. Ihad to start over when on holidays the babysitters killed the tank and the next group ate the snails right off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store