Goodbye FX5...Hello Rena XP4

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have my xp4 currently stuffed as full as it can possibly be with the media i had in there before, as well as the media from the xp2 canister (not long ago had issues with the xp4 motor housing/hose assembly, and had to do some filter part switcheroos). it's to the point where i have to push the baskets down good to get them to line up with each other, lol. no problem with flow at all on my xp4, even with the xp2 motor on it, and i did the filter parts switcheroo over a month ago if i recall correctly. big messy oscar and paratilapia polleni in the tank too (well, polleni is currently in hospital tank, but that's only been the past few days).

with either of my xp's, i've never noticed any dramatic/sudden flow slow down or clogging to the point where they don't run properly. i 'might' clean them out once a month, lol.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
On an XP2 I have one coarse sponge under one fine sponge in the bottom tray and carbon, the bio-stars and the micro pad in the top. For a 3 I double up the sponges in the bottom, use carbon in the middle and bio-stars and the micron pad on top. When you get the micron pads make sure you get the regular ones that come in a 3pk. The Supers that come in a 2 pk definitely clog too quickly for my purposes.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
50 microns isn't suited for an XP, because the pad is on the suction side of the motor. 100 micron is what you want, 50 microns is for pressure side applications.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Once I just ditched the micron, it's been much better. They are both on a discus tank that I feed ALOT!!! I know that is also part of the issue. It is just a dirty tank, even with every other day 50% water changes!!

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
filter floss or filter cotton is a canister filter killer ;(
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=magnumfilterpads
http://www.petstore.com/AquaticLife...lter_Media-AquaticLife-AK01180-AQFMME-vi.html
same benefit, same price, less danger to your motor.
you can dispose cut pads or agitate rinse and reuse.

my XP3 is populated the following way from top to bottom;
3x Rena Microfiltration Pad, 2x Seachem Purigen pillow, 1x Aragonite pillow
4x 30ppi Rena Black Foam Pads
4x 20ppi Rena Black Foam Pads
Every Month I recharge the pillows and lightly rinse all pads.

Last edited:

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Well this morning the tank is still coudy but is alot clearer than yesterday. So looks like things are starting to adjust.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
personally, i think the rena xp specific filter media is a hunk o junk, and crazy overpriced!

get large sheets of sponge, one more open cell than the other, and cut them to fit, filling all basket space that isn't taken up by biomax or polyester batting. get some loose biomax, completely fill one (middle) basket with it. get a huge roll of polyester batting from walmart or the craft store, and cut it to fit, doubling up the layer.

that's all you need to deck out an xp canister with media, and on a budget too!

itzazoo

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
I get most of my filtration media from hobby stores. Save tons of money and what you get last for many many months...Anyway came home from work this afternoon after being gone for a day in a half and my tank is crystal. Fish seem a little happier.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I get most of my filtration media from hobby stores. Save tons of money and what you get last for many many months...
You have sparked my curiosity, what do you use that you get at hobby store?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store