got a new tank...and an expected fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I wouldn't put any fish in there to "stabalize". Add a little food or a raw shrimp in a net/bag and let it decay a little. Pull the food source and test your water. Food wast will be just as good as fish waste and you don't have to turture a fish to do it or catch the little b*****d later.

My guess is that if your rock is well cured (sounds like this was an established tank) and you keep it submerged with flow and heat until you get it in the tank, you probably won't have much of a cycle even with changing out the sand bed. 65 lbs of cured rock is enough to allow you to start stocking SLOWLY and the new sand will become seeded while you are at it.

Try the food to gauge the cycle and then stock SLOW and keep testing.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
good point greech, i didn't get into this to torment animals, even if they are little a-holes. so what kind of stocking ideas would you guys go with. I have one route I like but am still very open to suggestions. My first plan is an aggressive tank that would be for a snowflake eel and then maybe a medium wrasse like a lunar, christmas, or bluehead. Then possible something else in that size range.
My second plan would be a community tank and I have no idea where to start with that. My GF and all the kids I know of course are yelling for a nemo fish

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
What size is the tank??

On another note, I really need to start spell checkin' my posts. Good grief :)!

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
75 g. I have my reservations about the eel. Everything i read says the tank's big enough and I love the look of them, but it also limits me a lot.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Got $350? :)

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/pr...=3416&osCsid=36931d38c04205a9f776d8411e09acbd

Personally I would do the community and if you go with smaller fish you can have more fish. With a 75 you could do clown(s), basslets/grammas, hawkfish (careful with ornamental shrimp), a anthias group, gobies, blennies. These fish will all occupy different levels of the tank and likely will create more interest and movement in your tank that a few larger predatory type fish. Just my $0.02.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Haha. I wouldn't have been shopping craigslist if i had $350 to drop on one fish. I have all but decided against the eel. They definately have a cool factor, but after looking around the LFS today I decided that there are way to many interesting fish out there to dedicate a tank to just one. I need to put together a good stocking list.

hahnd37

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Interesting fish there. Wanted the eel for the predatory factor though. Thinking at least one clown. Any tangs or wrasses that would do alright in a 75?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store