gouramis and shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Anyone every house a grouami with cherry red shrimp? I'm trying to get a handle on how a powder blue will get along with shrimp.

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
I haven't actually tried this myself, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work.

Gouramis are predatory, like bettas. You would almost be assured to have fat gouramis and no shrimp.

If you were to try it, I would recommend loads of plants for the shrimp to hide in.

robott

lalalala la la la
Jan 31, 2009
da murder mitten
i have a powder blue dwarf gourami in my 55 with red cherry shrimp. he doesn't really seem interested in them at all. but i don't know about offspring, because he REALLY loves live foods...
i'm keeping my fingers crossed. but i think if there are enough places to hide, floating plants, etc. they should be good.

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
What size tank are they going in? In a small tank you may have a problem, but I never had, but I keep amanos which are bigger so... In a big tank I would say no problem aslong as there are plants :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I kept honey gouramis with cherry shrimp in a moderately planted 36g tank. The juveniles shrimp were never seen, though the population grew very steadily. the adults were not at risk as they reach an 1" long. I would make sure you have areas of dense population utilizing mosses and some driftwood or cave type structures for the shrimp to hide in. the shrimpw ill not be as active or visible in a tank with predation, though i think a majority would survive.

robott

lalalala la la la
Jan 31, 2009
da murder mitten
What size tank are they going in? In a small tank you may have a problem, but I never had, but I keep amanos which are bigger so... In a big tank I would say no problem aslong as there are plants :)
i agree that tank size is probably key.
i should also note that my gourami is definitely on the aggressive side and still never bothers my shrimp

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It would be a small tank, five gallons. I have a rock wall with lots of crevices, a small cave, and plan to plant lots of pygmy chain sword. My idea is a powder blue gourami, which stays sort of small, a few red cherry shrimp and an african dwarf frog or two. I just don't want anyone to get eaten.

tjroihenu

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto
Anyone every house a grouami with cherry red shrimp? I'm trying to get a handle on how a powder blue will get along with shrimp.

If it's a Honey Gourami there shouldn't be any problems they are too slow and methodic to catch them.

But the Powder Blue they will gobble them up and you will be able to tell when all the shrimps are gone because they will stop stalking the plants.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
LOL I have a blue gourami who was housed with goldfish before I got him. I guess being with goldfish that long turned him into a big mush because he dis-regards the fish and shrimp in the tank as food. I honestly don't think my gourami knows he SHOULD BE a predator instead of a PUSH OVER. This poor thing eats flakes :(

You seem to have gotten some good advice so far. Sounds like it might work out as long as there are plenty of hiding spots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store