gouramis and shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
I've had 3 dwarf gourami's (regular 'tiger striped', flame, and blue powder) with all sorts of dwarf shrimp and they did fine.

However, I had a cave or two small enough that the gourami's couldn't get into it.

The shrimp are most vulnerable when after they molt before their new shell hardens up. As long as they have some sort of cave to hide in during this phase, I think they should be fine.

In my new tank, however, I mixed bigger and more aggressive fish, and I thought the dwarf shrimp (like cherry's) which only grow to about an inch might be too small, a good snack for a leopard ctenopoma.

SO, if that is an issue to you, I would go with Amano shrimp. they get a lot bigger up around 2 inches.

As always, just get a few and if one or two doesn't survive, well thats the circle of life I suppose.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Since I can't get cherries around here, I'll have to order them by mail, so I'm not too keen on losing any. I'm going to get a few of the 33 cent ghost shrimp today and see what happens.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
So far, so good. I've had three ghost shrimp in with the gourami all week, and no problems. I've watched the shrimp swim around him, and he ignores them. I did have one shrimp die, but I think it was just from being mishandled at the store. I also have two african dwarf frogs, who also seem to ignore the shrimp.

I don't have my plants yet, so that should create an even more attractive home for these guys.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
definitely keep us posted... i've been looking at having two red flame dwarf gourami as well as ghost and/or amano shrimp, and i've gotten the same mixed reviews on that idea lol

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I've actually seem him take notice of the shrimp for the first time today. He didn't bother them, but got right up against them and watched. When he moved too close they would just walk away. I'll see what happens over the next few days when everyone gets to know each other better.

Mike22122

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hi, i know its a looong time later but i was wondering how the blue gourami and red cherry shrimp worked out? Wanting to start an aquarium with a pair of blues red cherries and go from there adding other fish compatible with both. Id love khuli loaches but alas have very hard water

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
wow, was surprised to see an alert in my email from here :)

To be honest, I can't remember much, but the tank I had the blue gourami in never ended up with the cherry shrimp. I did get some for a different tank though. If memory serves the gourami ended up getting a bad parasite and died.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Cherry shrimp will be eaten by anything that can get them in their mouth. Adults might--emphasis on might--be left alone, shrimplets will be devoured. If the tank is heavily planted, there will likely be some survive, but you won't ever see them. I have a 37 that has malawa shrimp in it, leftover from a previous stocking. It's had redback paradise and now has Spotted bettas, both of which are capable of eating the adults. But there are lots of plants, so a few shrimp survive--I know this only because I find them in the canister filter. I never see the shrimp in the main tank. So...if you want them as a food source, establish them first, then add fish. If you want to see the shrimp, give them a setup of their own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store