Greetings All

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SteveC79

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Hello,
I am fairly new to fishkeeping and new aquaria central and wanted to say hello and had some questions. First, I wanted to say thanks for the article on the fishless cycling, my 20g long(no real plants yet) is loving it(sorry no pics). After a water change, I tested the water with my API Master Freshwater kit....

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 20

I was looking into some stocking options for my tank, and possibly need some help/advice. This is what I was looking at:

4 Neon Tetras
4 Zebra Danios
2 Dwarf Neon Gourami's(maybe as a centerpiece??)
and maybe 2 apple snails??

Will I be overstocking this tank? I have been doing some research on the Tetra's and the Danios but that is one persons opinion, hence the reason I am glad I found aquaria central. And I really like the apple snails, unless the snails are asleep haha! Let me know what ya think.

Steve C.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd stay away from the neon, flame, powder blue color strains of dwarf gouramis as many people have trouble with them. They don't seem to be hardy at all. Consider normal dwarf gouramis or honey gouramis instead. I would up the danios and neons to 5 or 6 each. Also, check out cardinal tetras as an alternative to neons. In my opinion, they are better looking and more hardy than neons.

Also, you may consider as alternatives to the regular zebra danios:
harlequin rasboras
longfin blue leopard danios
longfin gold zebra danios

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
I would stay away from the Dwarf Neon Gouramis also...Honey Gouramis are good, just like Nola said...

...parameters sound good so far...and harlequins are cool to look at, we have 4 of them, and they actually swim with the penguin tetras we have...

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i loved my powder blue dwarf. he lived for a couple years. I also prefer neons to cardinals (i like the blue more than the red, and neons have less red) but they are a little less hardy.

going with your current choices, i'd actually suggest 6 each of the tetras and danios. your tank wouldn't be overstocked with that either. IMO you have a little more stocking room in a 20 long than a regular 20 (not much, but a little) because the surface area is bigger.

tetras and danios are great fish for beginners, and congrats/thanks for doing your research ahead of time!! i wish more people did that. (i wish i had done it when i first started out)

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
going with your current choices, i'd actually suggest 6 each of the tetras and danios. your tank wouldn't be overstocked with that either. IMO you have a little more stocking room in a 20 long than a regular 20 (not much, but a little) because the surface area is bigger.
:iagree: completely

6 tetras(cards or neons) would filll out the school rather nicely

and 6 danios would keep them busy with themselves, which would ultimately keep them from annoying other fish because they are so active.

I personally liek the honeys better anyway, but if you have your heart set on the neon dwarf gourami, i'd say get the other stock first and make sure your water params are constant and pristine, and then add them after a couple months.

Nitro

Master fish looker atter
Jun 26, 2006
Lansing, MI
www.thenitro.net
Nobody has mentioned this, but if you get a dwarf gourami you should only get one. I had a flame dwarf gourami for about 2 years and he was my favorite fish. I'm thinking about getting another one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store