Greg's Return to Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I got it for $360.00. I hope that was a good price. I'm going to have to find more info on the web later on today.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
So I have to ask, how do you plan on putting a light canopy on a bowfront? That is the main reason I never went with a bowfront.. too hard to make a canopy that fits nice and can hold MH lights. It can be done, but more work than I ever wanted to tackle. At the store I work at they have a 175G bowfront and installed a $3000 Solaris LED light on it as well as 2 T5HO's in the "bowfront" part of the canopy because a rectangle light fixture didn't put out enough light for the bow part of the tank. Still, it is only a "softie/LPS" reef tank because the light isn't enough to do SPS corals. Even the owners of the store couldn't figure out a easy way to add MH lights to the bowfront with the short canopy that came with the tank and stand. It is only about 6" tall so it is too short to add MH lights and rebuilding the canopy was too much work even for them.

Also, what about the overflows? Are you going to look into getting it drilled and have an overflow built in? Probably looking at $300 to do that type of job on that tank and still a scary thing to do because of the risk of breaking the tank when drilling it.

Personally, that tank would still be a Fish Only tank due to lack of overflows and lack of reef compatable canopy/light. I wouldn't make it a reef tank at all... just way too much money to do it correctly when you can buy a 90G rectangle or even a 120G rectangle tank that does have built in overflows. I think a nice standard 120G reef tank (without a stand) runs around $350-$400 new... stand adds another couple hundred to the cost though unless you build it yourself.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi Ace,

I have a good friend who is a cabinet maker and he does some awesome cabinetry work so I'm sure he can do the canopy. As the tank sits now it has an Eclipse type filter hood on it and I figure I'll get everything cycled in and running with some live rock and a few fish. Then little by little upgrade the canopy and lighting then it should be ready to go. I was thinking about using over flow boxes rather than drilling the tank. I don't know if they are good enough or not, but I would rather not take the chance of breaking the tank. It did come with a sump and a protine skimmer and I'll take some photos and get more advice.

Thanks for jumping in there Ace!!

Greg

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Who makes the Odyssea 90G bowfront tank or do they have a web site for information?

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Thanks, It shows that it has an Odassea Hood that I'll change out later on. Is it a good aquarium?

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Well, Here's the Sump that came with my new tank. Is it useable as is or does it need to be modified? It's funny I can not find any real documentation on the sump or the tank's hood that contains the lighting and filtration system. The sump is fed from an over the back overflow box.

overflow box.jpg Sump.jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, looked on their web site and they didn't have any info on this set up.
Hmm, maybe we are referring to different brands...?

As for the sump, you'll likely want to modify it to fit a protein skimmer in the bioball chamber, as well as other filtration analogs, like reactors, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store