Greg's Return to Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
There are some very nice looking anemones over there. Now if I can just find the one I saw the other day.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Hi Greg....just found your thread. Nice tank! Can't wait to see it progress.
Robbie

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
HI Robbie, Thanks for the compliment. I guess I'll set it up using the light/hood-filter combo that came with it and then later on build the hood for the bow front. Someone on here told me a bow front hood was next to impossible build, just makes me that more determined to do it. Where can I see some photos of your tank?

Greg

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Where can I see some photos of your tank?

Greg
I think you already found them, but there's a bunch from beginning to somewhat recent in my build thread. There's a link in my signature....
Are you talking about building a hood out of wood? I don't think a curved front would be unbearably difficult if you have some basic woodworking skills and access to some tools. Or even better, if you know someone who does:D
Robbie

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
My 90?

Well, I guess I'll start a new thread as soon as I start the set up of my new tank. I would like some help identifying my tank and hood. With some searching I think the the tank is a 90 gal Oceanic Bow front Aquarium with an Odyssea B80 light hood and filter in the back part of the hood. The stand looks like what Oceanic offers for their bow front. They appear to have a hood that matches the base cabinet. It also came with a wet/dry filter with a HOB overflow box.

001sm.jpg 003sm.jpg 002sm.jpg overflow box.jpg Sump.jpg

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
How do you figure how much sand is needed if you plan on going with a DSB about 6" deep? Also, if live rock dries out will it come back once put in the tank or will I need to add something or new live rock to get things going?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You won't want the live rock to dry out, if at all possible. If it is allowed to completely dry, then yes, you'll have to add more live rock to re-seed it.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I guess I'll also need to seed the sand, what would you suggest for that? Ace recommended Superbac Live! Nitrifying Bacteria. What is a good all round kit for testing the water? I'm ordering the Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer for checking the SG.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I guess I'll also need to seed the sand, what would you suggest for that? Ace recommended Superbac Live! Nitrifying Bacteria. What is a good all round kit for testing the water? I'm ordering the Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer for checking the SG.
Well, the API kits are good for generalizations, though the instant ocean kits are a bit better. Personally, I use Elos--but only their calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium kits.

If possible, I suggest getting additional live sand--not the pre-bagged kind, but the "real" thing. Most places will sell it, including liveaquaria.com. Beyond bacteria, it should contain other sand-dwelling organisms that help the health of the sand bed over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store