Growth in my pleco's mouth...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What is this in his mouth? Been a few days and seems to be getting bigger...

• What is this growth?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How do I cure this growth?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Steven Tobeck

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2018
Lacey, WA
Real Name
Steven
My 8" pleco has something growing inside his mouth the past few days and seems to be getting larger...
I'm concerned....

20181112_102720.jpg

20181112_102618.jpg

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Great pictures to help with the diagnosis. I have some other questions that may get the big brains rolling.

1. What kind of pleco?
2. What size tank, what other inhabitants?
3. Water change regimen?
4. How long has this been there? Any new introductions to the tank at or around that time?
5. Current temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings?
6. What kind of foods do you normally feed?

My first thought was that it was a fibrous piece of food, but I don't think that would persist long enough to be a concern, because he'd either eventually spit it out, or swallow it up.

Steven Tobeck

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2018
Lacey, WA
Real Name
Steven
1.Suckermouth Catfishes (Family Loricariidae). Loricariidae is a relatively primitive group of fish. Also called “armored catfish,” Loricarids
2. 50 gallon tank with 4 goldfish few rocks on the bottom.
3. Water change monthly, filter change every other week..
4. He is the new one to the tank. That in his mouth is on his second day.
5. Currently 68-70°. Common neutralizer buffering for chlorine and other water treatment. Ph 6.8... not sure of nitrates...
6. He eats Algae pellets w/larvae , some beef, and romaine lettuce..

Thank you for your immediate response....

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That is hard to watch, poor thing. Looks fungal. Remove it carefully and treat with an anti fungal product safe for catfish. It might be secondary though, and the primary reason is bacteria or intestinal parasites... something broad spectrum might be necessary.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Only now I see your reply. Temperature is too low for Pterygoplichthys (that is what he is) also it is not really recommended that you mix it with temperate fish like goldfish, because of diseases. Fairly sure these factors caused his condition.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
1.Suckermouth Catfishes (Family Loricariidae). Loricariidae is a relatively primitive group of fish. Also called “armored catfish,” Loricarids
2. 50 gallon tank with 4 goldfish few rocks on the bottom.
3. Water change monthly, filter change every other week..
4. He is the new one to the tank. That in his mouth is on his second day.
5. Currently 68-70°. Common neutralizer buffering for chlorine and other water treatment. Ph 6.8... not sure of nitrates...
6. He eats Algae pellets w/larvae , some beef, and romaine lettuce..

Thank you for your immediate response....
1. Even as a loricarid, there's a specific species (because there are well over 600), which could help pin down some concerns in the type of habitat/diet is proper, but generally speaking, the species here that I'm familiar with are fairly warm water fish, preferring temps in the mid to high 70s.
2. Tropical water fish and cold water fish like goldfish aren't a good mix. The temperatures for each to thrive are too different.
3. About what percentage? What do you mean when you say "filter change?"
4. I got nothing
5. Temp is probably too low for him. What neutralizer do you mean by common? PH should be fine, as that's not a crazy extreme number. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates *could* be something that causes a secondary infection, bacterial or fungal, to occur. Numbers greater than 0 for ammonia or nitrites is bad, nitrates above 20 is a pretty good indicator that it's time to do a water change. I'd recommend investing in a good liquid test kit, and testing regularly.
6. What kind of larvae? What kind of beef?

I'm just trying to pin down more details to get you more information. I'd say that if it's a growth, hopefully it's a fungal one that can be removed, and you can watch for a return and/or treat with a catfish safe fungicide. That's usually not a primary ailment, so it could be poor water conditions (quite possible sharing a 50 gallon tank with goldfish) that have weakened his immune system. That said, hard to say that it's because of *your* tank if he sported that on the second day. There may be other issues at play, too.

Steven Tobeck

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2018
Lacey, WA
Real Name
Steven
Thank you for good advice my friend...
I was wrong but my temperature is 78°...
My pleco was just packing something around for his own reason but is now gone... looks real good though...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm glad he's ok.

What beef do you feed? It's not a "usual" fish food. (although I did feed ground beefheart when I had young discus). I would skip that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store