Guppy Population Control in 90L Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PL1995

AC Members
Mar 12, 2019
I guess I caused a lot of confusion with using the word 'predator' :( I'm open to adding any fish that will help keep the guppy population controlled.

I do plan to upgrade in the future (I recently went from a small 55L to this 90L), given I'm still somewhat new to the hobby I didn't want to go straight for something like a 180L

PL1995

AC Members
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for all the advice - I’m going to look into getting an additional tank to split the males and female, seems a good enough excuse to add another tank!

Reactions: dougall

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a good plan. Like said, ~23gal isn't enough tank for a bunch of adult guppies and something like a few barbs. Any fish that can fit fry in their mouths will eat fry.

MeganYiun

AC Members
Jan 23, 2014
Michigan
My guppy fish pond / tote looked very similar to this at one point.

image source

You could do what has already been mentioned OR you could do what I did.

I ran a craigslist ad stating that I had this many guppies (with pics) and that I would take cash or fish trades.

Reactions: dougall

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for all the advice - I’m going to look into getting an additional tank to split the males and female, seems a good enough excuse to add another tank!
Remember that the females can store sperm packets, and self-fertilize for around 6 months after being impregnated.

We had endler's live-bearers and removed all fish except for a single female we couldn't catch in a 30 gallon aquarium.

Didn't take long before that before the tank was full again.

Our long term solution was to stop keeping live-bearers at all.

Reactions: PL1995
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store