Has anyone every heard of...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
So I was talking to my girlfriend and she was telling me how her grandfather own(ed) (gave it to his kids) a LFS. He has a ridiculous number of tanks at his house and it turns out he was successfully able to spawn a hybrid between a freshwater puffer and an angelfish. Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this new fish or had any experience with similar bizarre, but fascinating hybrid spawns?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
DeputyChiefJR said:
So I was talking to my girlfriend and she was telling me how her grandfather own(ed) (gave it to his kids) a LFS. He has a ridiculous number of tanks at his house and it turns out he was successfully able to spawn a hybrid between a freshwater puffer and an angelfish. Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this new fish or had any experience with similar bizarre, but fascinating hybrid spawns?
Sorry, but not only is that biologically impossible, but the puffer would have either eaten the angelfish or at least killed it.

Not to mention the fact that it's almost impossible for FW puffers to breed in captivity. Dunno about SW puffers.

The only FW puffer small enough NOT to eat the angle would be a dwarf, and the angel would probably have eaten *that* :)

Roan

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I'll find out, but as far as i know she and her cousin say it happened and the fish are still around...If i get a chance to see it i'll let ya know what it's like.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
DeputyChiefJR said:
I'll find out, but as far as i know she and her cousin say it happened and the fish are still around...If i get a chance to see it i'll let ya know what it's like.
I'd rather see some pictures. Take your camera and shoot some, will yah? :D

Roan

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
no prob, i'm excited to see it as well

vaderbanger

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
could it have been a sw puffer and a sw angel?
even still its not possible

TorturedSOUL

AC Members
Apr 3, 2005
post a pic of your girlfriend while you're at it.

P.S. I'd be worried that she is already lying to you :shark:

cherrypie

Home Of The Punk Rock Fish
Jul 19, 2005
Perth, Australia
Someone has told you a pretty tall tale I think, puffers and any of the salt/fresh water angels aren't even in the same order let alone the same family or genus, way too much genetic seperation for them to cross breed. It would be like trying to cross breed a human with a giraffe.

vaderbanger

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
TorturedSOUL said:
post a pic of your girlfriend while you're at it.

P.S. I'd be worried that she is already lying to you :shark:
omg! LOL
unless her grandfather was a drinker and told her some sailor stories :read:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
cherrypie said:
Someone has told you a pretty tall tale I think, puffers and any of the salt/fresh water angels aren't even in the same order let alone the same family or genus, way too much genetic seperation for them to cross breed. It would be like trying to cross breed a human with a giraffe.
Hey, now -- my mother was hamster and my father smelt of elderberries!

Explain THAT!

:D

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store