Has anyone every heard of...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
well she's no fish expert, she was going off memory...i know it sounds weird but as i said i'll find out...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
maybe one of the fish had some babies that were actually mutants of some kind. . . rather than cop to genetically diseased fish, he was trying to pass them off as fantastic, one of a kind hybrids

or someone was drinking when they heard/ told the story.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
DeputyChiefJR said:
well she's no fish expert, she was going off memory...i know it sounds weird but as i said i'll find out...
Y'know, if I step back, I can see where you are coming from and why you might believe this.

You have to look at it this way:

Imagine mammals. All the different types: bunnies, dogs, cats, rhinos, cows, rats, and so forth. Now imagine a giraffe crossed with a monkey. No? Only in the National Enquirer, right?

Now, you really have to see fish the same way. I know they all look alike to some degree, but mating an angelfish with a puffer is akin to mating a giraffe with a monkey. You just *can't* do that.

There are *some* fish that will cross, but they are all fish that are similar -- but they *have* to be of the same order and of the same family and usually genus.

Dogs and wolves and coyotes. Those are of the same order, family, and genus. Not species, but order, family and genus:

Coyote: Order Carnivora, Family Canidae, Genus Canis, Species latrans
Wolf: Order Carnivora, Family Canidae, Genus Canis, lupus
Dog: Order Carnivora, Family Canidae, Genus Canis, lupus familiaris

See? Now:

Pufferfish: Order Tetraodontiformes, Family Tetraodontidae, Genus Tetraodon, Species nigroviridis
Angelfish: Order Perciformes, Family Cichlidae, Genus Pterophyllum, species altum

HTH
Roan

Last edited:

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
what about a shark and a plankton ???

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
How about a real cat-fish...would it want to eat itself or run away?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Pufferpoison said:
what about a shark and a plankton ???

Well, sure, a shark and a plankton, who hasn't seen that...phht. But a puffer and an angel fish? Someone is smokin that whacky tabacy!

P.S. By the way DeputyChiefJR, check your legs...i am positive that one should be longer than the other by now.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I won't say that it can't happen..but I will say that it is highly unlikely.

can't is a word that is too difinitive to be realistic...practical maybe but not realistic.

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
they probibly have oil catfish (look it up) , and tagged along that bizzare story so they would sell better

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
fish_breeder_05 said:
they probibly have oil catfish (look it up) , and tagged along that bizzare story so they would sell better
Well, that certainly looks like a puffer, but it doesn't resemble an angelfish at all.

Roan

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
Roan Art said:
Well, that certainly looks like a puffer, but it doesn't resemble an angelfish at all.

Roan
go to the catfish forum. i have a thread about them there. they are amazingly cheap for something as odd as that. its just a mater of finding the supplier

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store