have you have touched your pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
my friend put plecos in a cichlid tank and they ripped their eyes out :(
Proves that you cannot mix plecos with aggressive cichlids. I don't get why people interpret the "armoured" catfish being totally fine with cichlids.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
I have one of those common plecos. It felt like "rock" when I touched them. But even with that, it got shreded easily by tinfoil barbs. Even if it is a bit "armored" doesn't mean that it can withstand any beating. There are still some soft spots in their like the fins and as mentioned, the eye.

Some guys here made wallets out of their skin (school project). And their body secretions are being studied as an alternative biofuel source. :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
cichlids really arent compatable with any fish. they'll beat the hell out of any fish thats small enough. wouldnt recomend them.
I find this statement very broad. Not all cichlids are like that.

Edit: I believe boostnbuds was talking about African cichlids which definitely will beat other fish.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
I have one of those common plecos. It felt like "rock" when I touched them. But even with that, it got shreded easily by tinfoil barbs. Even if it is a bit "armored" doesn't mean that it can withstand any beating. There are still some soft spots in their like the fins and as mentioned, the eye.

Some guys here made wallets out of their skin (school project). And their body secretions are being studied as an alternative biofuel source. :)
My tins run from my pleco. Iv never touched my plec, I thought about it last week but got scared. I have a hard time letting my fantail suck my finger once, the tin foils thought about it and I yanked my hand out of the tank. NO TOUCH!!!

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
My tins run from my pleco. Iv never touched my plec, I thought about it last week but got scared. I have a hard time letting my fantail suck my finger once, the tin foils thought about it and I yanked my hand out of the tank. NO TOUCH!!!
No need to be afraid of your plec! His skin is rough and very firm, covered in little horns at the plate joins, his fins are often serrated along the leading edge, and needles reside in the larger rays. For all that, the horns are not sharp, the serrations are more like sandpaper than a knife, and the needles break fairly easily. They are also all pointed to keep him from being swallowed from behind. Some species keep a fighting hook under the gills, but even this is a little thing, that can barely scratch the skin in a casual touching. Commons don't have one I believe, and are generally more apt to flee than fight. Very powerfull fish, they are difficult to hold, even for the experienced fish keeper, but for gentle slow petting, commons are a worth while fish to interact with. Go on, slow and easy, give him a try...

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
LOL ya he flees when I am moving about near him in the water, other than me he makes the fish flee from him. Tmw is a water change, maybe I will try his fins are pretty big and sharp looking thats what scares me ( hes over 10")

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store