HELP New Rasboras with ammonia poisoning?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I watched a video of Althea on your channel and I think I saw you had coral in the tank, or is that fake ? Cause real coral and shells will cause the pH to go up.
Have you tested the KH of your tap water?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm really wondering if these bottles can give false readings on the test kit? I have 3 bottles of each solution 1 and 2 that I've just accumulated. So I'm not always using the same bottles when testing if that makes sense.
If they're old enough, it's quite possible. And I think I've said before, some will give false positives on ammonia, up to .25, apparently with Prime as the dechlorinator. My tanks *always* show .25, before or after water change, and at any time in the middle of the week. Anything higher than that, I'd be concerned is an accurate reading, especially if the change in reading before and after a water change is roughly equivalent to the amount of water you changed.

Reactions: Kmbishop111

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
I watched a video of Althea on your channel and I think I saw you had coral in the tank, or is that fake ? Cause real coral and shells will cause the pH to go up.
Have you tested the KH of your tap water?
Again a PS special, well that fake coral wasn't so special at $80!! It's in a heap in the closet. Fixing to test the KH on tap. It has to be tied to my tap water. Here's a vid of what's going on now. It's def a work in progress and a lot of trial and error. If this piece of driftwood would just SINK already!! Ha

Yeah, my plant game is weak, really just learning what works, what doesn't before I get serious about my next tank. ;)

Oh my KH out of the tap tonight is 80. But now the pH out of tap is 7.6 and tank water is at least 8.5. What the ?? Okay, so say I have a piece of Cuttlebone in bottom of HOB filter, surely that couldn't alter my pH THAT much, right? I just can't figure it out.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
If they're old enough, it's quite possible. And I think I've said before, some will give false positives on ammonia, up to .25, apparently with Prime as the dechlorinator. My tanks *always* show .25, before or after water change, and at any time in the middle of the week. Anything higher than that, I'd be concerned is an accurate reading, especially if the change in reading before and after a water change is roughly equivalent to the amount of water you changed.
I'm really starting to question the readings also. I did a 80 % WC in QT and still high Amm readings. There's no possible way, I mean it's been 20 years since I took Chemistry but I Hypothesis that the test is throwing false positives, losing potentecy. In theory, you have experienced this, I have experienced this and I'm sure other fish keepers have as well. Maybe I should have paid more attention in class. ;) (I do have to laugh still about the one time I knocked over my Bunsen Burner and my partner and I's lab table was fully engulfed in flames!! Yeah, I'm tired and frustrated to bring up high school!! LOL

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I think your tank looks good already, much more natural. Take the cuttlefish bone out, no need for it, and can't help with lowering the pH.
Have you tested the pH of the tap water after having it just sit for a day? It could be much higher as 7,6.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
A new test kit (and disposing of the old bottles) would be a way to test the hypothesis. That said, don't the bottles have itty bitty print with an expiration date? I know my current bottles are good until 2021.

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
I think your tank looks good already, much more natural. Take the cuttlefish bone out, no need for it, and can't help with lowering the pH.
Have you tested the pH of the tap water after having it just sit for a day? It could be much higher as 7,6.
No, I have not, that's my next move. I'm getting to be a Pro at water changes, so there's that. Lol Every single one of my fish seem to be loving these WC's, it's honestly a sight to see! AND the Cory's are getting frisky again. Hmmmm.... Not to mention I'm thinking of teaching Althea how to swim thru a hoop!! The things she will do for these frozen bloodworms!! Eating out of the palm of my hand I tell ya.

Reactions: the loach

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
A new test kit (and disposing of the old bottles) would be a way to test the hypothesis. That said, don't the bottles have itty bitty print with an expiration date? I know my current bottles are good until 2021.
A new test kit is def in order here. The pack rat in me is just gonna have to get over it and toss the bottles. (Or at least put them high on a shelf somewhere ;) ) Fixing to check Exp dates.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Hmmmm.... Not to mention I'm thinking of teaching Althea how to swim thru a hoop!! The things she will do for these frozen bloodworms!! Eating out of the palm of my hand I tell ya.
The hoop will be a hit when you put it on your youtube channel. It's gonna be Althea, s'worlds most famous angelfish ! :)

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
The hoop will be a hit when you put it on your youtube channel. It's gonna be Althea, s'worlds most famous angelfish ! :)
Don't get me wrong, she's ALL Angel when it comes to wanting food. (When she's feeling good) BUT she's not the Angel that will come to the surface or act happy to see ya to get a morsel. ....until last night!!

Oh my, she was coming to the top and following the tip of the syringe around to take the bloodworm out of the syringe!! I've always told her, your no cichlid girl, but I still love ya the same. hehe THEN last night happened.

I had originally planned my first tank to be a African Cichlid tank. (Just a couple) I just fell in love with every single one when I worked at our LFS!! Such personality and spunk!!
(Maybe my next tank at the first of the year.) My boss nixed that plan when she tried to pawn off her 8 Convicts on me. Hilary "No girl, they don't breed that often. Ohhhhh no, they'll get along JUST FINE in that 36 gallon you're cycling." Pfffftttt.....

Well on that fateful day, we had gotten 4 large Angel's in. We housed are Red tailed sharks w our Angels at the time. 10 Redtails came in as well. Let's just say the next day as I went to do Petcare, it was a bloodbath in that tank. They had killed the other 3 Angels and Miss Thang, Althea, was swimming around that tank like nothing ever happened. Not a fin nip, nada. I knew it would be short lived tho so I got her out of there that day. And that is how I went from African Cichlids to a wanna be a cichlid. :p

I keep telling Althea this could be us, if she wasn't such a big ham! ROFL

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store