HELP....Nitrate Problems and Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
Oh and i also threw the FLuval Clearmax peat stuff in the filter as well...My ph was slightly lower than before...But so far not hardly any changes in the Nitrates.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Look at growing some plants in that water. They will use up that nitrogen real quick.

If you don't want to grow them in the tank a pathos cutting or two in a tray or HOB will clean it right up.

It will also help get rid of the algae.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
im trying not to go overboard with the plants though >.< I like looking at my fish and i do have a couple live plants in the tank.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
My suggestion is to grow duck weed. Then you can still see your fish and it will limit the light going through the surface cutting down on algae growth.
And then spend the rest of the tanks life cleaning it out at each water change..... I actually introduced duckweed to my tank and do really like the stuff, however annoying it may be.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Elodea (also called anacharis) can float up at the top, so you can remove handfuls very easily when there is too much for your liking, and it sucks up nitrates like a champ. I also like giant duckweed and Amazon frog bit as floaters, although I think they appreciate a bit of light. Also, the pothos idea is a good one - you won't have the plant in the tank where it can obscure the fish, just stick the stems into the back of your HOB. The leaves will hang out in the air and look like a houseplant on/behind your tank. I have a lot of plants and actually have trouble keeping enough nitrates in my tanks, they really suck that stuff up and turn it into more green.

I do find it a bit odd that with your fish loads, and a 50% WC with 3/4 RO water, that within a couple of days the levels are back above 80 ppm.

meximan

AC Members
Dec 30, 2012
GRRRRrr.....Im really trying not to solve this problem via the Shotgun method , and buying anything and everthing to remove/reduce nitrates...

Did another 50% water change today with RO water, let it run for a few hours and re tested the water....Im color blind so i asked 3 different people in my house what it looked like and they said 40 ppm....So i guess that may be a little progress but i would think that The change should have been more.....2x 50% water changes from a start of 80ppm . I would think that would be 80/2=40ppm /2=20 ppm...So i would hope im atleast starting to see some Changes in color in the vial.

Am i doing the right thing by Trying to reduce nitrates via water changes first...?

I actually like that elodea plant, but the local fish store doesnt carry them >.<

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
If your nitrates are high, you can battle the system or plant your tank-
I have no nitrates in my tap- I stock the crap outta my tanks (you would be horrified if you knew how many big fish are in my 125) then I buy more nitrates and add them seperately 3x a week. Plant the tank.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Forget the filters the chemicals the drama, let nature take its course. If I told you the bio-load in my 125 you would be horrified yet I dose nitrates 3x a week and buy it by the pound and I am trying to remove the frogbit from my tank because it is a nutrient sink ... I WISH I had 80ppm nitrate in my tap water.

Go to the trade section of the forum and ask for frogbit or watter lettuce, say no to duckweed- its too fine and it will take over your tank- someone like me has tons of it they cant get rid of, but unlike me, they will have time to bag it, shake it out dry and ship it to you-

Last edited:

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I agree with turbo. Frogbit is the way to go if you want a plant that will suck nitrate. You'll hate yourself later if you put in duckweed. If you can't find it locally, pm me and I'll send some to you for the cost of shipping.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store