HELP plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Terriblefishmom12

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2019
Hello, I had a friend who gave me three plecos. (They are in sepreate tanks and are all healthy.) One plecos is in my 40 gallon tank with two fancy goldfish. It is starting to attack my black moor during the night and feed on its slime coat. For the time being I have a tank divider up. One of the others is in with my mystery snails and mollies. It is soon to out grow that tank and is showing some aggression to the mollies. (They are picking on his so I don't blame him) The last one is in with my beta and also soon to out grow its tank. I would really like to rehome these three fish but I have no idea where to start. After all they are COMMON plecos. The LFS will not take them and I've reached out to several friends to try and rehome but no luck... I can not bring myself to euthanize and feel terrible for even taking them in the first place. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think craigslist is a good option?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Ohio Fish Rescue will take them... there might be a fish rescue closer to you, otherwise ask Ohio Fish Rescue, they have a lot of members who will take in big fish. Sure put them on Craigslist as well.

Terriblefishmom12

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2019
Ohio Fish Rescue will take them... there might be a fish rescue closer to you, otherwise ask Ohio Fish Rescue, they have a lot of members who will take in big fish. Sure put them on Craigslist as well.
I've watched a couple of thier YouTube videos before and it looks like they have a really nice facility. Do you know if you have to drive to them?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
They have a great facility and Big Rich and Josh really love fish. Apparently they are coming out with an Ohio Fish Rescue seal of approval now for LFS's, which they can get if they adhere to certain standards such as not sell pacu's (and common pleco's?)
They will pick up fish depending on where you live, sometimes they make routes, drive up to 12 hours and pick up fish along the way. Do contact them they might have members that drive up to them and can take your fish. If anything else fails you can drive up there yourself, and take a tour of their facility, it's like a day at a public aquarium. Good for you taking them and trying to rehome them... you ain't terrible after all ;) Let us know how it goes..

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Megan I have a bigger one for your collection...

The Ohio Fish Rescue has one that is like in the 32" to 34" range.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store