HELP! WATER CHANGE ISSUE!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Alkaline refers to a pH abover 7.0. Alkalinity refers to the level of KH.

Note: the term ``alkalinity'' should not be confused with the term ``alkaline''. Alkalinity refers to buffering, while alkaline refers to a solution that is a base (i.e., pH > 7).
I suggest you go here Practical Freshwater Chemistry it is a very easily understandible explanation of tank water chemistry and what most keepers should learn. Read both subsections for the above.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Thanks everyone. When I read the test strip it measured the total alkalinity of at least 180 (kh) ppm and the ph level wAs at least 8.4. The only big change on the test strip was that it read the water to be very soft. We have a water softener but earlier my mom was in the hospital and forgot to get more salt for it. I’m going to do another tap water test as well. I did get him to eat a few brine shrimp last night. The water was perfectly clear but is now a little cloudy so I’m going to prep a halfway water change for this afternoon taking the water out VERY SLOWLY. I got him to eat a couple bloodworms the night before. I had to do something similar with my old cat when he wasn’t feeling well. Just gave him whatever he would actually eat even if it was a bowl of treats. I have these extra long tweezers that I could use to put bloodworms in front of him. He does come out of his plant to say hi to me. He’s very alert but just wants his plant.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I just tried a different brand of strips. It shows that the ph is between 8.5 & 9. The KH ppm is closer to 240 but the GH is at 0. I’m so confused.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Now I just tested the water I got straight from the faucet and the readings are the same except the ph is 8.5. I don’t know if there’s an issue with the water softener or something

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I just did the water change and he’s perking up a bit. Even swam over to say hi. He’s wiggling around like he used to. Even in the plant he’s wiggles like he used to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store