HELP! WATER CHANGE ISSUE!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Vacuum out the uneaten food. It looks to me like he needs more hiding places. That plastic plant may tear up his fins...

I would work on water changes to get rid of all those additives. I don't think they're helping & may add to trouble.

I've never had a water softener so I'm kinda guessing about your water issues. The softener removes GH (general harness) & adds sodium (salt) instead. Your fish is a freshwater fish, it doesn't want salt at all. Can you bypass the water softener? Maybe a outdoor spigot?

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Vacuum out the uneaten food. It looks to me like he needs more hiding places. That plastic plant may tear up his fins...

I would work on water changes to get rid of all those additives. I don't think they're helping & may add to trouble.

I've never had a water softener so I'm kinda guessing about your water issues. The softener removes GH (general harness) & adds sodium (salt) instead. Your fish is a freshwater fish, it doesn't want salt at all. Can you bypass the water softener? Maybe a outdoor spigot?
I could always add some store bought water. I’ll check if the outside water bypasses the water softener. I need my mom to find the vacuum. I think I also need to put him in a slightly larger tank too. This one is smaller than I was told.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I could always add some store bought water. I’ll check if the outside water bypasses the water softener. I need my mom to find the vacuum. I think I also need to put him in a slightly larger tank too. This one is smaller than I was told.
I’m going to have to get some store bought water. The water from outside is disgustingly rusty! My Dad has enough as long as I go replace it later today. He can’t stand the water even though it goes through 2 filters.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I’m going to have to get some store bought water. The water from outside is disgustingly rusty! My Dad has enough as long as I go replace it later today. He can’t stand the water even though it goes through 2 filters.
I just tested the outside water and it’s reading 300 GH (very hard), at least 180 KH, and ph level of 8.4. I found out Whole Foods has a gallon water jug refill system that’s cheaper.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I just tested the outside water and it’s reading 300 GH (very hard), at least 180 KH, and ph level of 8.4. I found out Whole Foods has a gallon water jug refill system that’s cheaper.
There’s actual gunk in the cup of water I got from outside. We only use it for watering plants. I won’t even use it for the dog’s outdoor water bowl.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am too lazy to see if the size of the tank is listed. But buying water is pretty pricey over time unless it is a small tank. I nead 11 gal.s of pure water (run through an RO/DI) that has 0 tds until ti absorbs co2 etc. from the air.

If water costs $1/gal. and you need only 5 gals/ week you need $260/gals. year. You can get a great RO or RO/DI unit for about %150.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
It’s just a temporary fix for right now. I found a place where I can refill my gallon jugs for half the price. Once I can leave my parents house he’s going to have really great water. My old Jack Dempsey did so well he outgrew the tank and I had to rehome him.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I did a small water change but I actually tasted the water and it’s salty so I’m going to add some water from outside once it warms up to room temperature at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store