HELP!!! Whats wrong with my NEW Discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishandbird

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2007
Our discus are about 3 inches, so I dont think they are too young. I am tempted to get another two so they can shoal ? I appreciate the comments about their size and future problems. My largest tank is 180 litre but I could never put them in there as it is a well stocked community tank. I guess if they do outgrow the tank I will buy them a bigger one! I understand they should be in a species tank but I really dont see my Gourami and Albino shark causing problems - these guys are so peaceful they give their species a bad name!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the pH does not have to be 6 to have healthy discus..mine is a neutral ph of 7 and mine are doing fine.

Discus can get bigger than many folks know..mine are at about 6" and still growing. a 3" discus unless stunted is not an adult and is a young discus..they should still be getting several small meals each day if you want them to get big and healthy.

lots of water changes too..(good idea if feeding several times per day).

they do exhibit a more social behavior when in a group..I keep 7 in a 75..ideally I would love a 150 G tank with Discus and Altums.

just keep an eye on the other fish ..gouramis don't always have issues with cichlids but there could be issues as the discus mature.
contrary to popular belief..many discus will greedily compete for food and are far from shy.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
AAAggghhhh! I just read this thread all the way through. Some good advice but some CRAP...

I dont mean to troll but if you have not kept Discus dont talk about it.

My Discus thrive at 7.6-7.8 pH.

Listen to Starrider, yogias, boatnut. and pinkertd.

Last edited:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I agree with RedScare. My discus thrive and spawn and the eggs hatch at a ph of 7.6, straight tap water treated with NovAqua. They are not as fussy about water ph unless you've got wilds. Plenty of water changes, lots of food and frequent fquality eedings for growing out juvies, group of 4 or more minimum and no other fish in the tank that might stress them!! For mine warm temps of 84-86 for juvies, 82 is fine for my adults.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
I agree with RedScare. My discus thrive and spawn and the eggs hatch at a ph of 7.6, straight tap water treated with NovAqua. They are not as fussy about water ph unless you've got wilds. Plenty of water changes, lots of food and frequent fquality eedings for growing out juvies, group of 4 or more minimum and no other fish in the tank that might stress them!! For mine warm temps of 84-86 for juvies, 82 is fine for my adults.

So true! If you get fish from Columbia then expect to have major pH and water quality probs.

If you get local bred fish feed a lot and WELCOME TO WATER CHANGE LAND...

On a different note my Discus are healthy and very aggressive. These fish are not slow moving and fight incessantly.

number1sixerfan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2006
So true! If you get fish from Columbia then expect to have major pH and water quality probs.

If you get local bred fish feed a lot and WELCOME TO WATER CHANGE LAND...

On a different note my Discus are healthy and very aggressive. These fish are not slow moving and fight incessantly.
If they fight like that you may want to add more to spread out aggression. Only reason I say that is because it would hurt like hell to lose a discus, as expensive as they are.

RedScare

AC Members
Jul 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Now I have 6 in a 55 gal. I was thinking about culling the smallest 2 and getting 1 or 2 slightly bigger fish. I did not want to put more in a 55 cause that would make a lot more work for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store