helppp cycle is being dumb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
i do not know whats wrong with my cycle.

Right now the params are
ammonia-.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-5ppm
ph-8.24

looks like its done right? But theres no way.

I had a raw shrimp in the tank for 2 days, and it raised the ammonia up to about 2.0 . I figured at this time it was ok to take out the shrimp. I tested the next day expecting to see it around 2.0 maybe even a bit higher, and it was down to .25! So, then i tested for ites and nothing was there either.

I then added a TON of fish food into the tank, hoping for an ammonia spike. I tested again a day later, and the ammonia was STILL at .25.

So i decided to try again, i added more fish food and tested again about 36 hours later, to find the ammonia still at .25, i also tested for nitrites and nitrates and they both tested out fine, like a normal tank would.

Yesterday i decided what the heck, and i put one of my devilish damsels that killed my clown into the tank (little bugger deserved it anyways) Now today about 24 hours later, the damsel is fine, happy as can be... thinks he is king of the tank (he still gets lost in his castle though). The tank params today test out the same, ammonia showing a trace... about .25 still and no ites. I know i will probably get flamed for putting a fish through the cycling process, but ITS STILL NOT CYCLING!?!?! Could it also be that the small damsel doesnt create enough waste? But if so, what IS enough waste cause i've poured almost a hole container of fish food into the tank, with no ill affects.....

My only thoughts are that my test kit is testing out wrong, cause i follow the directions perfectly (double, and triple checked). I checked the date on the kits, and they are all from 05 and 06, but aren't these kits supposed to be good for at least 4 years?

-Jay

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You probably have fantastic live rock. Here is what I'd do just to be safe. I'd go get another fresh prawn and put it in....wait a week and then check the numbers. Don't check before then or you'll just drive yourself nuts. If the ammonia is up to 2 or so then take it out. Try not to test everyday even after that. Plan on doing it at most twice a week because numbers are going to go up and down all the time. Don't plan on even trying to stock the tank until you're 4 weeks AND the numbers looks good.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
wasnt ever planning on stocking, SW fish are to expensive to mess with.

My live rock might be very good, and it came to me all cured. But i only have 42 lbs of it... in a 110g tank? So i dont think it would be that good?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
well, stocking is still somewhat up in the air. I was originally thinking of a predator tank but have since changed my mind.

Fish:
(1) niger triggerfish (already have him, and hes pretty docile, hes still not full sized, and he will probably get bolder, but he doesnt show any interest in the other fish in the tank with him.)
(2) true perculas (may be a bit small, but the trigger is only about 4 inches right now anyways, and they will have there BTA to hide in eventually as well.)
(1) Yellow/Lieutenant/Naso tang (havent decided which yet, looking into maybe a yellow eyed kole too.)
(1) Green mandarin (eventually)
(2) Fairy wrasses. Not sure which types yet (scotts/Lineatus/Laboutei)
(1) yellow spotted watchman (already have him, blue band variety)

Inverts
(10) mexican turbo snails
(15) dwarf blue leg hermits
(15) dwarf red leg hermits
(15) nassauris snails (sp?)
Cleaner shrimp (not sure how many?)
(1) BTA (after the tank is mature)
Maybe some clams (Tridacna)

Corals- soft
Lots of zoos (love em)
Some shrooms
maybe some leather

Corals-LPS
Brain coral
Cup Coral
Torch
Trumpet
Plate
Sun

and maybe more, who knows.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
i've got to run out now anyways, and i was thinking about stopping at my LFS cause i need some more food, and id like to grab a couple more snails anyways, and was thinking about maybe one of those "Live Alert" ammonia things. You know the things you hang on the inside of the tank to watch the ammonia levels...??

Would this be a good idea?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
forget that, i just looked into what those alert things are... TEST STRIPS!!??!? eewwwiee lol.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hmmmm. There are others who say to take the shrimp out after the ammonia reaches a certain level but I've always kept mine in. My nitrites were at the top of the chart. After the nitrites were finally 0 (and I think my nitrates were at like 40+ or something) is when I considered my cycle complete, removed the shrimp (yuck!), and did my huge water change. It took about 3 1/2 weeks if I remember correctly.

Also, what is your water source? Have you tested that to see if there's ammonia in it?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
my tank cycled in 6 days. no joke. the good live rock handled my ammonia build up with no problem.

i also left my shrimp in my tank for 5 days til it was horrible! lol

you probably have nearly the same experience. just get that ammonia down. other then that I think you are cycled or very close.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
pallen, i never saw any ites in the tank though....

5xevy- the water is mixed ro/tap. My tap is fine, with no ammonia, and just a very small trace of nitrate and phosphate. But to counteract this, i mix it with RO water, at the rate of about 60/40 (RO to Tap). It will eventually be all RO water as the water changes are to be strictly RO however, and im waiting to purchase my own unit.

Salt used is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, so i doubt there are any problems there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store