"Hex" tank vs. rectangular, Pros and Cons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guybrush

AC Members
Dec 28, 2011
Missoula, MT
Real Name
John
I currently have no tanks, so I imagine either would be an improvement for me, but while I am waiting for a deal on CL I have been doing some reading on these forums and could not find any posts about this topic. :huh:

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
I would recommend the rectangular, as they are usually longer than a hex, most fish like to swim side to side not up and down, good luck on finding a tank :)

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Is there any specific application the a hex would be better?
Sea horses is all that comes to my mind. Even then, I'd want the largest one available.

By the way, hex tanks, in my experience, fail more often than standard rectangles. The reason is no one builds hex tanks will beveled glass so the joint area of contact is tiny.

fishdaze

AC Members
Dec 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Chris
I kind of like the flat back hex tanks but they're not true "hex" tanks since they're just rectangle tanks with the front corners cut. Pretty much just an aesthetic thing at that point since it actually removes volume compared to the rectangle tank it would have been without the missing front corners.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store