"Hex" tank vs. rectangular, Pros and Cons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
I think for most fish, a bigger footprint is better... but the hex shape probably suits some rooms better as a space saver.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I hexes work well for certain fish, but you will definitely have less fish for the volume of water than you would be able to have in rectangular tank. With most fish, it is the footprint (horizontal space) it takes up rather than the height or the number of gallons that matters.

I use 10g hexes for bettas, and I have a 15gal column tank (similar to a hex in footprint but a square instead of so many corners) that I use for my 5 dwarf puffers. As you can see, 5 tiny fish in a 15 gallon and one fish in a 10 gal is much different than you could go for stocking in a rectangular tank. If your hex has a large enough footprint, like a 60 gallon, you might be able to put a schooling fish in there, but large or active fish generally shouldnt be considered for hex tanks.

moby goby

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Real Name
Robert
I think you're better off with a rectangular tank, but a hex tank might also look good as a riparium. The tank could be filled about 1/3 of the way up with water and you'd have plants growing both above and below the waterline. Depending on the size of the tank (and therefore the volume of water), you could keep a betta or some shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store