High Nitrate Levels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rob0504

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
My 40 gallon Eclipse is 5 months old. Cycled nicely in 6 weeks per everyones comments...unfortuately with fish per the instruction of the fish store. With daily water changes, we did not loose any fish.

Anyway, my nitrates will not drop below 60-70 every since the cycle was complete. Amonia and nitrites are 0. I do a 25% water change every including a partial gravel clean.

We have 3 severums, 2 silver dollars and 6 small tetras.

Running a 404 fluval.

Is the high nitrate normal? I've heard anywhere from 0 - 80 is OK?

Thanks!

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Most people will say they should be below 40 - better is 20.
Have you tested your tap water - maybe that is the reason for your high nitrates ?
Also - how often do you do a 25% change ?

pugman

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Testing your tap water is a great idea. You might want to consider using a nitrate removing resin in your filter, such as Nitrazorb. You can recharge it with salt, so the cost isn't prohibitive. Live plants help, too, provided you have the right conditions and the right plants.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I don't believe in using nitrate-removing coverups. I think the safest and most effective solution is larger and more frequent water changes. I do 50% water changes at least once a week, even though I have moderately high plant mass in all my tanks. It's just healthier for all involved.

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
Mgamer20o0 said:
i agree with plah831. you should be doing 50% water change at lest weekly. i try to make sure its at about 20ppm. i would keep doing daily water changes of 25-50% until it goes down.
... and plants. Plenty of plants. Real ones. The nutritional needs of artificial plants is so low that they have no impact on nitrate levels. :rolleyes: The real thing uses nitrates.

Even if you don't have a lot of light, you can plant a tank - there are plenty of plants that thrive in low light conditions.

YuccaPatrol

Over-filtered
Oct 17, 2004
Yes, as others have said, start doing larger and more frequent water changes.

All of my tanks, even my fully stocked ones, never get above 10ppm.

Also, don't feed so much and as often. I feed my fish no more than 3 times a week.

pugman

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
plah831 said:
I don't believe in using nitrate-removing coverups. I think the safest and most effective solution is larger and more frequent water changes. I do 50% water changes at least once a week, even though I have moderately high plant mass in all my tanks. It's just healthier for all involved.
It's not a "coverup" if, in fact, the person's tap water is very high in nitrates. Exchange resins are generally safe to use. Your statement is like saying "I don't believe in dechlorinating water." I KNEW as soon as I posted something about chemical media that someone would criticize it.

Rob0504

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
I do a weekly water change of approx. 25%. I'll go higher per your recommendations.

I have three plants embedded in the gravel.

I think I feed the fish to much. Twice a day for 4 minutes...maybe a snack during the day if I am home...only enough so minimal amount of excess falls to the bottom.

Tap water nitratre = 0

Thanks!

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
pugman said:
It's not a "coverup" if, in fact, the person's tap water is very high in nitrates. Exchange resins are generally safe to use. Your statement is like saying "I don't believe in dechlorinating water." I KNEW as soon as I posted something about chemical media that someone would criticize it.
Agreed. Removing Nitrate is no different than removing chlorine.

As to it coming from tap water - this is very likely. You might be amazed at how much Nitrate is in well water in a rural area. And the levels go up every year. All that livestock waste and fertilizer that has been used over the years has got to go somewhere. Living in the city doesn't help much either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store