Horseshoe crab question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Are horseshoe crabs easy to take care of? My lfs told me today that it would b a great addition to my nano reef. But when I aasked him if it would grow big he told me that they will not grow big for a long time. Is this true???? How long does it actually take for these guys to grow big???? I am not planning on getting one but I am curious. Afterall, they are cool critters! Don't worry I know that they are definetly not suited for a 24 gallon nano tank. Just wondering in case I am wrong.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Hah a horseshoe in a nano i dont think so i have found them at over a foot long.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
They tend to starve in captivity. I had one :)banher:) ages ago when I first started and used an LFS that I no longer use! I was told the same thing, and they are great creatures, the nearest thing to prehistoric that you'll see alive today IMO.

They can get to 24 in long, they don't cope well with powerheads (I was always removing mine from a powerhead because he wasn't strong enough to do it himself) and can also get wedged in live rocks.

IMO - Leave them in the sea.

darthgoby

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
I would really question a fish store that would suggest a horseshoe crab for a nano reef. I would seriously think about not going to that store if that's the advice that they give you.

What are they going to suggest next a shark or 2 for your nano?

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
yup. I don't think I will be taking anymore advice from this Lfs. Too bad there aren't any other ones in the area. And you guys are right. Some animals are best left out in the wild and these guys are one of them. But wow I didn't expect them to be so clumsy in the aquarium.

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
My boyfriend tried to convince me to buy a horseshoe crab for our tank the other day. We went to the LFS and they had a little tiny one. Its a good think I don't listen to his impulse buys, I've seen giant horseshoe crabs that definitely wouldn't fit in my little 55, haha After I told him how big they get I guess he understood why I wouldn't let him throw one in our tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store