Horseshoe crab question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
My LFS had about 10 of these poor fellas for sale & I happened to stop by with a friend who is writing an invert book with Bob Fenner. She said: Minimum of 10' open sand for these crabs.

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
There are 4 species of horseshoe crab and all get very large. Living in Maryland, we go to the shore for a couple of weeks each year. Once in a while you'll see one crawling around while you're swimming. I've picked them up a couple of times. I just wish 1 time to go to Delaware during spawning season. I'm told they cover the shore line. The pictures are unbelievable but I want to see it in person. One of the most amazing creatures on Earth.
I have a molted shell in my oceanic bar room. Along with a big reef shark mouth, countless cowrie shells, crown-of-thorns star and other cool things. The horseshoe crab molt is my favorite though.

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
How do they starve? I know that they burrow into the sand, so I am guessing that it is hard to get the food to them?

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
They will strip a sandbed of any noticeable life and then promptly starve. They're not the most intelligent of creatures IMO and are usually the last to get to the food. I definately wouldn't recommend one for a reef tank as they can re-arrange the rockwork. Like Pufferpunk stated 10' of open sand would be the minimum I'd try with one again although I'd still prefer to see them left in the wild.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
It's more like they run across the water, than swim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store