Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

How can i get rid of Hydra?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by starrystarstarr, Mar 28, 2007.

1. starrystarstarr

starrystarstarr AC Members

Mar 22, 2012
    I have some in my cherry shrimp tank and its making me crazy. Noticed the hydra after a blow up of cyclop population. Ive been doing 20-30% water changes every other day and feeding my shrimp once every 3 days. I just want the f*3^ing hydra gone!!

2. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan Proudly Scottish

Aug 9, 2009
    Try extensove gravel cleaning daily with 20% water changes for next 2-3 weeks...

3. liv2padl

liv2padl cichlidophile

Jun 1, 2007
    salt is useful for the erradication of hydra at 0.3-0.5 % for five days. you'd have to remove the shrimp temporarily of course.

4. starrystarstarr

Mar 22, 2012
    I removed the shrimp to a qt 10g tank. Have risen the temp temp 100+ degrees and added some salt >;D I'll keep it like that for a few days and of course do tons of water changes. GRRRR so upset over the whole thing. Thank you all for your imput.

5. VTwinFanatic

VTwinFanatic Endlers

Aug 22, 2010
    I have the same problem...what exactly are the problem w/ the hydra being in the tank?...Ive read that they (certain species) can eat small fish and inverts, but the ones in my tank are 2mm at the most. I have 100's of cherry shrimp and dont seem to be missing any...lol....but what is the real problem with them if they arent bothering anything?

6. liv2padl

liv2padl cichlidophile

Jun 1, 2007
    actually nothing. ;)

7. starrystarstarr

Mar 22, 2012
    Ive read that they can eat baby shrimp, didn't want to take that chance. And they can have a nasty sting to small animals. I just don't want a crazy amount of them in my tank. heres a link with some info about them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus)

8. loaches r cool

loaches r cool Snail Terminator

Oct 6, 2012
    What does that work out to in specific gravity do you know? I have hydra in my brackish tank and its thriving.

9. starrystarstarr

Mar 22, 2012
    I put in tons of salt and turned up the heat for about 3 days. Doing water changes (about 99%) twice a day for the first 3 days. Now i'm just doing water changes to get rid of left over salt and have every thing nice and clean. In a week my shrimp will be back in their home.

10. PufferFan

PufferFan AC Members

Nov 16, 2008
    lol i had hydra twice in two tanks both wile they where cycling i simply let them die im cycling a ten gallon and a 5 gallon we will see if they get them...

do they need light?