How can i get rid of Hydra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apistomaster

AC Members
Jan 24, 2007
Clarkston, WA
Only Flubenol works on Hydra. I have never tried it with invertes but I doubt if it is safe. Hydra are the "Day of the Triffids" of the aquaria. If you have live plants and feed bbs and or cyclops/daphnia you WILL have Hydras. You can starve them out to invisibility by only using FD CyclopEeze and live microworms don't seem to turn them on but they are virtually impossible to eliminate no matter what some products claim and none of the arcane eradication methods found on the net or publications work.
They are a dismal prospect, they can harm small aquatic life forms but thy are mainly an unsightly nuisance creature.
Larry

mags50

AC Members
Mar 2, 2007
england
hydra

:confused:
I have some in my cherry shrimp tank and its making me crazy. Noticed the hydra after a blow up of cyclop population. Ive been doing 20-30% water changes every other day and feeding my shrimp once every 3 days. I just want the f*3^ing hydra gone!!
what is hydra its not little like worms is it

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
hmmm thing on wikipedia says hydras are biologicaly immortal, sounds like tons of fun to get rid of ;)

stepan

AC Members
May 11, 2007
Northern California
Prevention: If you catch your own live food, you should always place it in a bucket for 15 minutes. The present Hydra will attach themselves to the side and the bottom of the bucket.
Treatments:
1) Raising the temperature to 45 degrees((110F). Prior to this remove the fish and the snails from the tank. The plants can be left in the tank since they can stand this temperature. The temperature only needs to be kept this high for a short period, 5 minutes will suffice.
2) Treat the aquarium with Dactycid(Colombo).

ronw007

Breeder
Apr 17, 2007
Woodridge, Illinois
Real Name
Ron
hydra

I had hydra in my guppy tank about a month ago. From what I have read it comes from feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimp. I had a breeder net in my guppy tank with new baby's and was feeding them three times a day and about 2 weeks later is when I noticed the hydra. I had come across some info while seaching another web site and it explained in great detail what hydra are, where they come from and what to do to get rid of them. Try to google hydra and see if you can find the info, if I could find the info I would send you the link. From what I have read they are very harmful to young fry, they have a type of venom/toxin that even if the fry come in contact with them they will eventually die. I got rid of them once my fry where transfered out of that tank. I scrumbed down all the sides and bottom of the tank very well and did at least 50% water change and as of 3 weeks I have not seem the hydra. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store