How dangerous are pond snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
They generally will not eat live plants; they may be scraping algae and other aufwuchs off the wisteria's leaves.
They've definitely cleaned the wisteria off. I used to have some dark algae buildup in the center part of the plant where the otto didn't venture. It' all clean and clear now. I did find a few other resources that said they will clean a plant of algae, but a lot that suggested the algae would just be an appetizer.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
So you brought up five links that say pond snails eat plants.

The second link's picture of a "pond snail" is a snail in someone's palm the size of an adult brig. It isn't even shaped like the common pond snails.

The fourth link says that pond snails are hard to find from retailers. I don't know a place without them (save walmart, theres all die). It also says that they need oxygen to survive. I've never seen any of my pond snails at the surface (and I don't have any holey plants, either).

From the fifth link:

"Freshwater Aquarium Snails - Pond Snails

Pond snails are often called by other names in the aquarium store. They have elongated shells and reproduce rapidly."

I've never seen pond snails called by any name at pet stores.

I haven't heard of any of those sites before, except maybe fishpondinfo (most pond sites include "pond" in the name). I have tons of ramshorns and pond snails, and they're harmless. No holes in my plants.

Considering three of the five sites seem to be referring to different snail species, especially the second, I think that these "pond snails" really aren't pond snails they're referring to; I know of many snails that are called that (in fact, I've heard all snails that can survive in ponds called that, unsurprisingly). The large snail in the person's hand on link two would support this.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
unfortunately i think 'pond' is often used when identifying snails..after all many are from ponds:wall:

oddly...even when identifying known species of snails you may run into generalized information.. ramshorns for instance may include the columbian species of ramshorn.

also keep in mind that many snails may consume dead or dying leaf matter as part of their diet..

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
That's my point, I know they're not ramshorns, but beyond that all I know is the picture I posted here got a unanimous "pond snail" from everyone who looked at it. My experience so far is that the little buggers are eating leaves, and that they ignore the food I put in to try and trap/collect them. I'll find my picture and post it in the morning. Maybe they're not even pond snails or whatever you would call them.

And from time to time, they do go out of the water to get at algae above the water line. If that means anything.

thebullit

smile it confuses people
Apr 29, 2007
North West, UK
pond snails will generaly only eat dead or decaying plant matter, but if hungary they might nibble on the leaves of live plants.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
Hi Kulhi, I hope you did not mistake my previous post as being against you or calling your story a lie. I looked at the pictures in your other thread and concur that these are common pond snails, which you will get about 90% of the time when buying live plants. Normally the fish in the tank take out the baby snails keeping the population in check, the larger snails can be removed in several ways if you have no qualms with killing them.

A tried and true method is to strategically hunt the biggest snails and squish them against the glass with the handle of your dip net. The shell is pretty brittle and the fish will clean up the remains of the snail. You can also try the food baiting technique again. I have used the little tiny aluminum pans that those mini pecan pies come in, to great success, just blanch a piece of cucumber or zuchini and place it in the pan, next day remove the pan and hopefully some snails.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
It's hard to say. That's why I wanted to get a range of opinions, but I got a little overwhelmed. The odd thing on the wisteria is you almost never see decay, at least on mine. My banana plants go through constant decay and renewal, but the wisteria always seems so hardy. I'm wondering if, in the process of cleaning algae from the leaves, the snails don't perhaps nibble into the leaves a little from time to time. However, I got worried as most search results for pond snails nets results that call them plant devourers.

Thanks for the input, that's what I was looking for.

I don't mind having the snails, so long as they don't destroy the plantlife. I'd like to give some away, but they're hard to catch in a group. I might try a slice of zuccini or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store