how did your fishkeeping get started?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hwo did you get started fish keeping

• goldfish from fair or etc

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • freind

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • parent

Votes: 60 20.0%
  • just decided to do try it

Votes: 110 36.7%
  • other

Votes: 66 22.0%

• Total voters

Celes

AC Members
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle
I admit it. I was one of those terrible little kids who kept bettas in a unheated, unfiltered bowl because I didn't know any better. My little brother and I each got one betta, and they lived in a 1g fish bowl until they died. We then transitioned to goldfish, and the aquarium got upgraded to the 6g Eclipse. And strangely, no deaths for about 13 years... Yes, that's right. Two comet goldfish in a 6g tank, for 13 years. I have no idea how they survived that long, and I feel really bad that I kept them in such a itty bitty tank! =(

Recently, I picked up a 3g aquarium and a betta, and thought why not? I started doing research (after buying the betta, of course...) and learned about cycling, plants, snails, shrimp, and all the different kinds of fish, and that I would need a bigger tank to keep all those different kinds of fish... =P

And so now, I'm cycling a bigger tank (only 14g...), and I absolutely can't wait until I can stock it.

And I want a bigger tank...

20? 35? 55...? =D

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
I always had a fascination with animals. I also had a thing for setting up enclosures and designing things. I decided i wanted to get into fish keeping and saved up at the age of 14 or so. i went to petco and bought myself the 2.5 gallon dividable tank for $50. ( i know.....) then my pops got a really old tank with wierd dimensions. i calculated it out to be around 120 gallons. ex saltwater tank. I then got a job at a fish store and was able to upgrade items for the tank. ironically the tank sprung a leak and i was allowed to order in a 125 gallon through the store i worked at and thats what i have now. went through 3 different types of fish/biotopes. excuse the grammar and punctuations, its late -_-"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store