how did your fishkeeping get started?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hwo did you get started fish keeping

• goldfish from fair or etc

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • freind

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • parent

Votes: 60 20.0%
  • just decided to do try it

Votes: 110 36.7%
  • other

Votes: 66 22.0%

• Total voters

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
My wife bought a 5 gallon for our young son. Then her sister gave her an old 10 gallon. After a couple of years our son lost interest in the fishies and the wife was all to happy to let me take over. 8 years and a few tanks later I am still hooked.

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I started wirh a 20G tank that a friend of mine could not keep anymore..

Oddly, for the first few months, I just took care of it vaguely uninterested.. (other than being happy my kitties loooved to watch it).. I did a lot of research over the first 6 months to make sure I was doing everything right.. and then all of a sudden.. WHAM! I started to get obsessed... and and searching every forum I can find locally for cheap tanks to continue my habit...

Happily, the tank I was given still has a few original inhabitants, including a couple 2-3 year old cory's, so I must have doing something right even when I was only half-heartedly into it...

And now I have researched so much I totally out-expert a few of my fish-friends. =)

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
Well this all started when i was very young. We had our house built for us, and part of my driveway (a turn around) was to be converted into a flower bed. I was watching the wizard of oz when my dad came in and informed me that he "accidentally" dug too deep and now we would make a pond. This pond has been redone multiple times and now sits at 4 or 5 ft in depth. Originally, every fall we would remove all fish from the pond and put them in numerous 55 gal and 20 gal tanks we had in homemade stands in our basement. During the winter i would love to sit in the basement and watch all the fish. Eventually the fish did not need to come inside, and most of the tanks went away minus one 55 gal. Then i decided i wanted my own fishtank. I started with a random assortment (i did not know much) of danios, random species of tetras, a pleco, a weather loach, and a raphael catfish. Fish started dissappearing, and i eventually found out it was the catfish who was munching on them. Eventually that tank crashed, and i stopped. A couple years later I got a leopard gecko, which i housed in the 55 gal until intestinal parasites killed her and her mate. The tanks, stands and equipment got put away.

Jump to about a year ago. My room was a mess so me and my girlfriend set out to clean it up. After some reorganizing, I found I had an empty space in my room. I said to myself "I would like a fish tank again". So i started doing tons of research. This time i got black sand (3m colorquartz!) numerous live plants, and started with some danios and 3 balloon mollies. Well the balloon mollies except one died due to pregnancy issues (Chubbo, the largest molly i have ever seen) and i ended up with two fry. So, being the genius i am, decided it would be fun to get a male balloon molly and do some breeding. John, an older black balloon molly, has probably fathered approximately 70 or 80 fry at this point and time. I also got big into loaches, and have 5 kuhli loaches, 1 horsefaced loach and 1 angelicus botia. I also have a school of cory cat fish. I then decided after seeing some Red Cherry Shrimp, and also because I needed a place to grow the balloon molly fry, that i would get another tank. So I purchased a 20 gal high (only thing i had room for) and started a heavy planted tank. Now i have a colony of shrimp, and tons of balloon molly fry. Now i am working on capturing the fry and taking them to the store, i have found that rainbow fish are quite pretty and that i could potentially make a ton of little children very happy with my people friendly mollies ^_^

Next tank is my little brother's birthday present, a 40 gal cold water high current tank.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
I used to think fish were kinda stupid because you couldnt hold them or anything, just watch them in a tank. but ive learned its much more than that! lol

My sisters boyfriend has always kept fish and worked in fish stores so eventually my sister got a tank. so after i was able to check out the tank when i visited her, i started to get really intrigued by their movements and how peaceful they were. So now i have a 36g and thats pretty much thanks to her.

She helped me out a lot with this tank too. her, my other sister and her boyfriend pitched in to buy me the kit which was really awesome of them. but my sister is bringing me 3 pieces of driftwood, a breeder floater for my female guppy, some java fern and java moss today.

lol Im a happy camper :D

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
Bought a 10 gal for my grandson's bedroom who lived with us at one time, almost every day my daughter would find me in her son's room just watching the fish. Grew from there from 29 gal added a 55 gal and just added a 130 gal. I was suppose to get rid of all the other tanks...so my husband says but still have fish in the 29 gal. I'm getting everybody hooked though...I think even my husband. I have dogs and cats but nobody would have ever guessed me and fish...what a great relaxing and interesting hobby.

laurarichard

AC Members
Apr 12, 2010
I got guppys from a teacher and then my dad started to tell me that he was in a bunch of fish clubs and he bred fish so i guess it was a bunch of different things

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
1 little bitty betta and a snail... then another betta and snail, then another betta and snail. The betta picked on the snails so the snail had to have their own tank (which was on sale). Then, did you know snails came in cool colors? Overstocked that tank and had to get another tank. This is when I met Zigman and bought a tank from him. It's all down hill (or up hill, LOL) from there. All your pictures and stories... sigh....:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store