How do guppies act when ammonia/nitrate is high?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eco23

AC Members
Aug 3, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
The bacteria tend to be in the filter because that is where the most real estate is. It may have a little to do with oxygen exchange and food sourcing, but for the most part it is because that is where they have the most surface area to live on. The filter media (at least bio-media) is designed to maximize surface area. Move into the saltwater world and it is often the opposite (since the bio-media is the rock sitting in the tank).
I'm sorry to disagree (and to take us further OT)...but I don't understand the logic. I agree that with certain types of bio-media like Bio-max and Eheim Substrat they are designed with maximum surface area in mind...but if you measure every square inch of the tank walls, substrate, decorations, plants, etc...the bio-media surface area will not provide more area for colonization than the combined total of the others. Ceramic media aside, the same principle applies with simple mechanical filter cartridges in HOB filters. Mechanical filter pads are obviously not created with the purpose of colonizing maximum amounts of BB (shown by the fact the manufacturers poorly recommend monthly changes)...yet they still do harbor the vast majority.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Unless you can do a census count of the bacteria residing in your tank this discussion mainly hinges on theoreticals ;)
I tried but I can't get them to fill out the forms... :cry:

...and when I complain they keep pointing out my census paperwork sitting in the "old mail (bills)" pile. :swear:

eco23

AC Members
Aug 3, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Unless you can do a census count of the bacteria residing in your tank this discussion mainly hinges on theoreticals ;)
Some of this may be theoretical to a degree...but it is also shown by experience. The amount of beneficial bacteria can be measured by the effects on the bio-filter when certain items are removed or replaced...like the example I mentioned with switching substrate vs removing filter media. It's not looking at it under a microscope, but it is a measured example of how conversion is affected by specific changes.

eco23

AC Members
Aug 3, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
+1 im interested to see what happens but im kind of surprised rbishop hasnt closed this thread yet.
Close the thread? I'm sure the topic would be better suited as a new thread...but I assume a mod wouldn't lock a thread due to a valid, friendly discussion :) After all, that's what these forums are for...discussing topics and sharing opposing viewpoints to gain knowledge.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
btw, i respect rbishop for the services he provides!!!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
btw, i respect rbishop for the services he provides!!!
OMG!!! i posted a whole wall before i posted about this... can i get a moderators reply on this? PM me plz!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
My PM box is always open.....

:)

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
srry glabe, i lost the key to my pm box... lol JK :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store