How fast do well-kept Oscars grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hi.

I purchased my two oscars when they were about 2inches, which was about three and a half months ago. Now they are 5-6inches, and their growing seems too have slowed down. I feed them 3-4 times daily along with one water change a week.

I think I'm going to introduce a Jardini Pearl Arowana. The one Im thinking of getting is atleast 1foot. I need the Oscars to be able to defend themselves.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Well fed oscars will usually average 1" a month for the first year or so, I have always controlled growth somewhat with feeding so mine usually don't grow quite as fast.
Dave

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
I agree, most that I've seen get around 1' in their first year. This is why they make poor choices for most beginners with small tanks.

Haymarket

AC Members
Jan 4, 2005
They can grow about an inch per month, but that seems to go in spurts. Very few oscars reach 12" in a year (not including tail), unless you are really forcing growth (lots of live food, keeping the temperature high etc).

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
The information you've already received pertaining to Oscar growth is accurate.
Aprox 1" per month for the first year, with high end temps and "Power feeding" high protein foods you can achieve higher than normal growth.

But I have to question the advisiblity of a Pearl Arowana as a addition to your tank. Not as a tankmate or bio-load, but as to aquarium dimensions.
The Pearl Arowana will quickly achieve 20"+ and max out at well over 30"+ and your tank is only 24" wide. Arowana's need swimming space, length and widthwise (depth not important), when mature the Arowana would be very cramped.

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
I know of two 35inch 24 year old silver arowanas along with a 16 year old pearl, living in a 180 for their whole lives. I dont see the problem? I know that 95% of the members here would still disagree, but I highly doubt any of them have had success keeping them in a smaller tank. Maybe the old chinese theory is right? Right?

Last edited:

lkishimoto

Aug 22, 2005
Waipio Gentry, HI
i've had the same concern regarding the max size and speed of growth of an oscar. i recently bought 2 oscars (about 3"), and have seen them grow quite rapidly over the past month. hmmmm, looks like i'm going to either need to post my own thread, or check back here for more answers. thanks seattle!

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Faster than u hoped for!

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
1-1.5" a month till around 10" then they slow down a bit.

On the tank issue, just because you can keep them in something smaller doesn't mean its good for them. Always provide a good sized aquaria for your fish period, if you can't provide a good habitat, then you need to find something that will be rated for the aquaria you can provide.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
Oscars arnt the world's "fiercest" cichlids, aw who am I kidding they are the cowards of the cichlid world with a never ending appetite no amount of feeder goldfish could raise their aggression. my advise is to ditch the oscars and get some Jack D, Red Devils, or Managueneses those fish dont back down. oh by the way, oscars can grow 1" a month for the first year or so with a good diet and constant water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store