How fast do well-kept Oscars grow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Ya rite...well if u put them in a new enviroment... but they are very aggresive!

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
ok well u get a jack D and an oscar the same size and then tell me the results.......... 9 out of 10 that oscar does not live past week 2.... :devil: I say this because I have lost many oscars to other more aggresive cichlids.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Oscars are seldom an aggressive fish if kept in an adequate environment, there are however a big powerful fish that will tolerate very little harrassment. I have never had a JD hurt an Oscar, and likewise I've never had an Oscar hurt a JD. I have had a few such combo's which I had to seperate, because they couldn't remember who's territory was who's, but even in those cases do lasting or cserious damage was done, and it seemed to be more of a personality thing than a characteristic of the breed. For the most part they get along fine if you don't cram 3 of them into a little tiny 55 or 75g tank. I'm not sure how aggression factor plays into this thread, but Oscars shouldn't have a lot of trouble defending themselves and living with a smallish arrowana. And once the get past the adolescent phase, they usually relax a bit anyhow.

IMO it really would require a monster tank for an arrowana and a pair of
Oscars. I'd be looking at something of several hundred gallons for that project. Arrowana's are awesome fish, but not an easy animal to keep even the smaller breeds get huge. a 33 inch fish and two 12 inch fish are going to need a lot of space.
dave

chuckinwdc

Chuck & Veronica
Aug 31, 2005
Reston, Va.
daveedka said:
Oscars are seldom an aggressive fish if kept in an adequate environment, there are however a big powerful fish that will tolerate very little harrassment.
I have a question about that. I had a juvenile Oscar (about 1 inch) in a 55 gal tank with three other larger fish, and this sucker was planted in the middle of the tank, lunging at any fish that got close (most stayed in the corner, mouthing "don't hurt me please!"). :help:

I've since taken him out and put him in his own tank. I know that Oscars all have their own personalities. Does this one seem to you that he's a bruiser? :devil:

By the way, I do a couple of 20% water changes a week and clean the filter a couple of times a month. Water quality should be pretty good.

Chuck

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I've had oscars and JD's. I've always made sure my oscars were larger than my JD's because a JD will kick some oscar bootie if they're the same size. (Learnt that the hard way!) BUT, I did have one of my oscars take a pretty big bit out of one of my JD's once. Bad enough that you could see the the JD's insides (the JD was tenatious enough that he actually lived though ... ).

So I don't know, I guess there are some oscars that might be more aggressive than others, but the ones I've had have been pretty whimpy around other aggressive fish unless they've been messed with too much. But, I've only run into that when there hasn't been enough space in the tank for the fish I've had.

Oh and ... how are you cleaning your filter? You want to be careful about cleaning your filter too much. That's where all the good bacteria lives. If you clean your filter too well, you kill all the good bacteria and ... then you've got water quality problems.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I have a question about that. I had a juvenile Oscar (about 1 inch) in a 55 gal tank with three other larger fish, and this sucker was planted in the middle of the tank, lunging at any fish that got close (most stayed in the corner, mouthing "don't hurt me please!")
This kind of falls under the category of how you define aggression. To me an aggressive fish is one that will persue other fish chronically and attempt to do them damage of some sort. Fin nippers fall in same category as Dovi for me.

A terretorial fish is one that defends his/her territory ferociously, but does not persue beyond that or attempt to harm other fish beyond defense of territory. Royal pleco's pictus cats, Jd's, Oscars firemouths and so on fall in this category. Territorial fish are fine in the same tank if there is room and decor for them to estabilish. Most folks claim that your medium to largish territorial cichlids need about 6 ft of tank length for a completely safe territory. I find that without breeding pairs they do fine in smaller territories, and I don't have any pairs because my tank isn't big enough for that activity.

Community fish are those that live in harmony and don't mind each other at all and therefore little or no pursuit, and no damage to each other. Territorial fish can be easily kept with community fish, but aggressive fish cannot except for cases of Dither Fish

Dither fish are fish that through one or another natural characteristic are able to live in the tank with aggressive fish and not be harmed. Giant Danios are a great example, as they will avoid aggressive fish with their speed, and seem to be happy to do so.
Dave

lionheart2189

Registered Member
May 20, 2009
zz

yah my oscar got beat up by my african cichlid so i had to seperate the tank. my oscar is far from aggressive but i do notice both my african cichlid and oscar have been eating my zebra danios. i feed them twice daily with brine shrimp and cichlid pellets. the oscar never seems to get full at all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store